16 pin connectors

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive 16 pin connector in a 4 x 4 configuration, if not a very thin 2 x 8 configuration or a 1x8 but 2 of them, both male and female. I'd also like to find at least a 40cm black round cable with 16 colour coded isolated stranded wires.

I did have the idea of using perf board with header pins, but I think it might be a tad too big.

Just for reference, I'm from the UK and I don't really feel like spending about £20 to get things shipped here, so if possible, no recommendations for US exclusive sites (unless they're prepared to ship quickly and cheaply)

My deadline for a solution is June. Any ideas or suggestions? I had considered 2 RJ45 wires and connectors but they're still pretty big.

The closest thing I can think of is a Vga cable/connector with 15 wires and the shield cable would be the 16th.

I had considered a VGA cable, but they don't have 15 wires inside anyway. The problem with the connector is that its just a bit too big for what I need it for.

Headers? I think you can get them in a format resembling an actual connector, and that would eliminate the perfboard. As for the other side, IDC connector+coloured ribbon cable.

Also, maybe the Molex or AMP type connectors the arcade guys like to use?

XCVG said:
Headers? I think you can get them in a format resembling an actual connector, and that would eliminate the perfboard. As for the other side, IDC connector+coloured ribbon cable.

Also, maybe the Molex or AMP type connectors the arcade guys like to use?

I haven't been able to find any headers bigger than than 2 by x.
The amp connectors are too big and I don't think they have enough pins.

I've been considering the mini USB ports, but soldering to them might be a Sega, and they're quite expensive each.

EnterTheHatrix said:
I had considered a VGA cable, but they don't have 15 wires inside anyway. The problem with the connector is that its just a bit too big for what I need it for.

You would need the actual Vga connector like from Radio Shack, it actually has 15 pins. Also you would need vga wire not a pre-made vga cable. The Vga wire would have 15 wires plus the shield cable.

But if the connector is to big anyway then it doesn't matter and wouldn't help you.

ps2_controller_pinout.jpg

That's a playstation 2 plug. They have 9 wires, and are black.

I assume you're making a dock? I know people use VGA, but that's huge. What about an iPod connector?

Perfboard with 16 headers on seems to actually do the job well. I just need to create a socket guide so the pins don't bend, and I need to order more headers.

Back