What software do you use for 3 axis cnc machining?

For actual controlling the machine controller boards, you'll want to use something like EMC (free linux machining distro) or Mach3 (not free software). Inventor will output files for some CAM software, which will output g-code that will that EMC/Mach3/etc. will use to run the machines.

Eagle will export directly to g-code, IIRC. Inventor may too, I haven't checked it out recently.

(You could also be hardcore and hand-code your g-code files (which I've heard people have done)).

Don't expect much from that machine, though.

Theres a program called Adem that can take an .ipt file direct and export to a controller as G-code, but I am pretty sure its only 2D. Additionally you could convert to .dxf, as most cnc programs accept those straight up. (also .iges, .step)

So inventor outputs the CAM file, them a CAM software translates it into g-code, then mach3 uses the code to rout?

Well, EMC is free, so I would go with that instead of Mach3. But that's just personal preference, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up using EMC because I'm cheap, but I still need to figure out how to get an inventor drawing into g-code. What is CAM software?

CAM software takes the 2D/3D model and converts it to g-code, which is basically directions for the controller boards, like X - 2ft, y 7 in, etc. Some sample code:
Code:
M3
g0z20
G0X0.000Y0.000S15000
G0X113.750Y310.033Z30.000
G1Z9.333F240
G1Y366.039F510
X92.829
Y373.533
X143.161
Y366.039
X122.153
Y310.033
As for some software, I'd probably go for something from this list. I'm not familiar with any of those but I think I've heard of Pycam before, so it might be the one to check out.
http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cadcam.htm#cadcamsystems

(Side note-CNC simulation software. Anyone tested/used this before?)

Back