Sam's PCp

vskid3 said:
samjc3 said:
No can do chief. I'll see about it, but I doubt they wanna sell more like this.
Why not? Do they want to sell in bulk?
Nah. They want to sell finished products.

I quote:
The CEO of a certain company said:
If I'm honest we usually turn down this kind of business as we really
want to focus on selling complete systems but I personally find your
project so interesting that we'll supply you the parts at our
wholesale cost plus a few %. We want to help enable cool ideas like
this.

now I will ask about selling more when I talk to him on monday, but I cant promise anything.

If they would be more willing to sell them to individuals in bulk, I have enough that I could get about 10 of them and then distribute them to those that want one.

I want one of those boards. Sadly, I do not have anywhere close to enough money to afford one.

Alrighty people. Need help deciding here. Im gonna use a 1.8" SATA SSD for this baby. That means very expensive. The lower the size, the cheaper, obviously, but how low is too low? I'll be running win7 home premium 64bit stripped of most windows components (security and such), so that has to factor into the space for games. Is a 64gb drive big enough? I dont think so, but if someone can convince me otherwise, I would much appreciate it, as my budget will be heavy laden with a $250 128 gbSSD.

I dont think the 64 is enough because, on this PC I have:
Mass Effect 2 + all DLC
Audiosurf
Oblivion + some mods
L4D
L4D2
Portal
Braid
Minecraft
Trackmania nations forever
World of goo

And my steamapps folder measures 54gb. While I could get by with a library this size, I would prefer to have more. Basically I suppose Im trying to convince myself that buying a 128gb Crucial C300 is worth it. (oh and if anyone knows of a cheaper SSD that is still SATA 6gbps and 1.8" form factor, I would love to hear about it.)

Also 5" screen or 7"? Both are probably the dalien screens, so power draw/thickness/etc isnt an issue. Both would also be touchscreen. I dont think that having a 7" would change the size too much (10% increase, max), but its also more expensive.

EDIT: Just crunched the numbers, and Im looking at $795 total cost, assuming I dont break anything.Thats too high. Anyone have some of the batteryspace 4700's in good condition? (or the 5000's. either way, I need 6, but any I can get at less than full price will help.) Also Dalian 5" screens? Vga accepting 7" of a thin and light nature?

64GB is nowhere near big enough these days. As for the screen, you want something with touch. Don't skimp on that. Looking at the numbers, I'm starting to see why they don't make commercial products like this. Although with volume and integration, the price could probably be reduced significantly.

XCVG said:
64GB is nowhere near big enough these days. As for the screen, you want something with touch. Don't skimp on that. Looking at the numbers, I'm starting to see why they don't make commercial products like this. Although with volume and integration, the price could probably be reduced significantly.
Based on the quantity discounts I see, it would cost about $300 parts wise for a production run of 1000. And dont worry, I wont skimp on touch. Though I am contemplating skimping on the batteries, and going to 11.1v 5Ah (Vs. somewhere in the 10Ah 11.1v/14.8v range). Should still get me good battery life, especially since my screen and SSD will be WAY WAY more efficient. Possibly I could use a 2.5" SSD, but the cost savings isnt that big, and its way bigger. I'll probably just end up swallowing the price tag, but still. its not worth doing if I cant complain about it.

64GB will be plenty, depending on how you use it. It'll have at least one USB port which you can plug in a little jump drive. Alternatively, you could integrate an SD card reader. If we're talking strictly Steam, I believe you can add/remove the folders for individual games easily. So, let's say you've got a handful of games installed, but on a usb drive you've got the folders for a ton more. You just plug it in and swap out L4D and swap in Oblivion. Or whatever. Steam should make that fairly easy. Though for games that install in a more traditional manner, there'd be a bit more difficulty (registry stuff, etc.).

Overall, I like the idea of integrating a small SD reader, but that's just me. You could easily have an external 2.5" hard drive full of stuff.

If you consider the emulation end of all this, you can fit TONS of games on 64GB. I think the entire U.S. SNES romset is less than 1GB for instance.

Not really planning on emulating much on this (My PSP does that just fine, and fits in my pocket) but yeah, I could fit a Heck of a lot of games on if I did. As is, I think Im gonna go with a 128gb, because I can barely fit Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (like 30 gigs) and a few other games before its full. Figure 10 gigs for windows + software to be safe. That leaves 54 gigs for games, and 30 of that is automatically filled. I could swap my files around, and I had thought of that, but really, I cant help but think Im too lazy for that and would end up with a smaller library than I would like. And Heck, I think Ive got a way to drop the out of pocket cost quite a bit, so I'll almost certainly go the 128gb. And Ive been looking at some numbers, and the 5Ah 11.1v should be pretty good (3-4 hours, in game) and saves a good bit of space and money. What I need now though is a small controller to match all my other new smaller parts. (needs standard playstation/xbox controls.) Ive been thinking maybe two of those mini folding ones could work, but Im not sure if Xpadder will let me utilise two at once.

Whatever drive size you end up going with, make sure you rip unneeded content out of the games you put on it (might be harder with Steam). You'd be surprised how much space you can save by removing stuff like languages or videos (a lot of times you can also compress the videos quite well with little to no difference in quality, especially considering they will be playing on such a small screen).

Just got a 128gb Crucial c300. One of the fastest Ive seen, So I suppose I am happy. $256 total, with 1 day shipping, so thats nice ($263 + shipping on newegg).

Getting the money order for the motherboard itself tomorrow. Acquiring OS (win7 home premium 64bit) as I write this. So all I need now is batteries, controls and screen. Batteries I will decide after I get the motherboard, and figure out if it is wide input or not, so I know how I need to wire my pack. Screen, I would love to test a 5" Dalian screen. If someone has one, I would pay for shipping to and from my place so I can test and see if it meets my needs, and then ship it back (or buy it).

Controls will probably served by an Atmega328 custom control board (standard ps/xbox controls, usb interface, preferably HID compliant). I dont really feel like doing that myself though (I can, but Im not set up for AVR, and theres like $20 left in my budget for controls) so if someone with the skill to do it wanted to, there'd be some money in it for em. ( :stare: robm)

You would probably be better off with a native USB AVR, like the Teensy I linked you. Not to say it can't be done; USB has been done in software for quite a few things (USBTinyAVR, Metaboard).

Anyway, looking good. What happened to all the old parts?

XCVG said:
What happened to all the old parts?
Good point, you should be able to get at least $500 selling everything separate. Or just finish it and sell it (I would be extremely tempted to buy it).

vskid3 said:
XCVG said:
What happened to all the old parts?
Good point, you should be able to get at least $500 selling everything separate. Or just finish it and sell it (I would be extremely tempted to buy it).
Hmm, a tempting offer, I must say. I still have all the parts right here on hand. I'll think about it for sure.

Back