RDC/Downing's PTH08080 Breakout Boards

Downing

So RDC and I have been working a few new components to make modding life a little easier the first one we've completed is a breakout board for the TI PTH08080WAZ and WAH regulators.

At the sacrifice of a little bit of space, the ability to now securely mount and easily solder to the component has been made. And he made it so a single board would host both SMD and Through-Hole versions of the regulator.

I just got fed up with the noise and inefficiency of those Chinese variable regulators were putting out and the TI has always been the best for the portable applications but were a pain to wire up properly. This takes all the PITA parts out of the deal and can be fully secured to the casing with the mounting holes.

PTH08080WAZ Surface Mount Version
20160223_205016_zpsq7k206ml.jpg

PTH08080WAH Through-Hole Version
20160223_205230_zpslnjptzxg.jpg

And yes, you can mix and match for example using the WAH Through hole but using SMT Caps and Resistor.

I figured they'd need to be at least 1 12v capacitor (implying you're using a 12 supply). Is it safe to use less for higher than rated voltages?

DigiKey, Mouser, and any number of other online parts houses are where you can find them.

You should always use a higher voltage rating Capacitor than your supply voltage. The 2 Lipo cells in series typically used for the power source are only going to get up to around 8.4v when charging, so using anything rated 16v or higher is fine.

C1 or C4 is the only one that is required to be installed, C2 or C3 are just added output capacitors.

Those SMT shown on the boards there are 1210 sized, 100uf, 16v Ceramic. They run around $2 each also, compared to the thru hole 100uf that are around $0.25 each, so the SMT version is not only a little harder to build with the BGA package, it costs more overall, but it's a bit thinner compared to the thru hole, so there are pros/cons to each one but they both do the exact same thing.

Back