Need some advice about my internet connection.

Twilight Wolf said:
What should I do now? Cut my wrists while I listen to some Linkin Park?
i dont think things are quite that bad. but, ping over 1000!? thats just scary. i shat bricks when mine hit 500 with my old AT&T net.

i don't recommend switching to AT&T. my past dealings with them have SUCKED. awful customer service, much slower than what we payed for. (payed for 2mbs down, never got over 150kbps down, ping hovered at 200, and drastically went up near the end of our stint with them, stabilized at like 560, upload was like 40kbps)

Why exactly arent there other big companies there. Reno isnt exactly a small town. that seems odd. :gonk:

I've had sort of the same problem. Have you tried another wall jack? That was my problem.

sam, I'm on AT&T.

And Reno isn't a small town, but like I said, it certainly isn't big enough for anyone worthwhile to bother setting up shop here.

bud, I could try that, but... there are no other wall jacks nearby. The nearest one is in a completely different room, which means I couldn't connect my desktop with a wired connection...

Yeah but if you do that and it works fine, you'll know it's a problem with the jack itself.

You know, bud, you're a genius. I don't know why I never thought of doing that. My Dad keeps wondering if maybe it's the wire leading to my room, and this would settle that once and for all.

I'll have to give it a shot. When, though... I don't know. Soon.

Will do.

But for now... my internet's still being a total Sega. Download speed is roughly halved, as is the upload speed, I'm dropping packets like a madman, ping fluctuates greatly. Resetting both the router and the modem didn't do flux to help.

For now, in case it is heat that's causing the issue, I've stuck the spare unwanted router I got with the broken WRT54GS I bought between the router and the modem. Maybe that'll help cool them both off...

Well, I think the phone jack in either my sister's room or my Dad's office should be as close as possible to that. I'll have to try it at one of those.

Well, my Dad called AT&T to see if he could try to get things fixed... the internet shut off while he was talking to a tech, and they don't know why, nor could they turn it back on. ._.

So... I'm posting this message from my phone after spending ten minutes trying to open this thread. ._.

Well, the internet's back, but it's SOOOOO SLOOOOOWWWWW

Thank God I don't have to use my phone any more, at least...

Back