My W.I.P. for the Super NintendoBoy

pLover

Apparently plover is a type of bird.
Yes, this VERY similar to the design from the book.

I finished hacking the SNES2 and as I was sending my PSone screen out to be shipped to Argelfraster for repair, the post office broke the ribbon cable connecting the motherboard to the LCD glass, which sucks. I got it insured for $100, but there's still paperwork and the incredibly high chance of them denying it and not paying me. I'm almost done with the controller boards, but I need another NES IC (I'm working something out right now). I also need to get the aluminum strip for the walls (I already have the strip for the balsa wood) and the balsa wood for the battery cover. But I'm pretty sure I know where to find those.

11kghs4.jpg

As you can tell in the picture, the corners were a little bit rough, but I scraped them down and now the plates look 100% perfect! If I can get the walling to look professional, this will look corporate-manufactured! I can't wait, if I get a NES IC and a PSone screen soon, I should be done in a few weeks! Perfectly in time to get a bunch of SNES game for Christmas!

Here's the worklog. I don't think I've made enough progress since the second video to make a new one. I'll make one once I finish the controller boards and/or mod a new screen that actually works.

Worklog

Re: My W.I.P (I think)

I have never portiblized the Super Nintendo, but I am quessing you can do it for around 250. You will probably be able to sell it for 350, if its done well. You can't make a profit off of making portables and selling them.

How much does it cost to make a SNESp? That depends on what deals you get on parts. You might get lucky and find a mini-SNES in a garage sale for $20, or you might be forced to buy one on eBay for $100, or maybe you'll choose a Retro Duo and pay $50 for it. You might snag a cheap recased PSone screen on eBay for $20, or maybe a PSone with screen at a thrift store for $25. You have to keep looking for deals- on eBay, at thrift store, garage sales, pawn shops, whatever.

I wouldn't recommend selling your first portable. After you get some skillz, then you can make a better one and sell it.

Argelfraster said:
designer noob said:
You can't make a profit off of making portables and selling them.
Yes you can.

The better deals you find, the more you will make. I've only spent $62.71 so far on my portable N64, and all that is left to buy is a case, and maybe another N64 in case I fry one.

Anyways, I saw Life of Brian trying to sell his SNES portable for $450, and I know it sold, but I don't know if it was for that exact amount.

XCVG said:
I wouldn't recommend selling your first portable. After you get some skillz, then you can make a better one and sell it.
I'm not going to sell my first. My parents are going to pay for the first 2 I make, then I'm going to sell the second one for the amount it cost for the first two. THen using that, I'm going to make a third and sell it, then use that profit to pay my parents back and still have money to make more portables.

pLover said:
XCVG said:
I'm not going to sell my first. My parents are going to pay for the first 2 I make, then I'm going to sell the second one for the amount it cost for the first two. THen using that, I'm going to make a third and sell it, then use that profit to pay my parents back and still have money to make more portables.

Wow... my mom would never pay for my projects. I did get lucky and get a psone screen for my birthday, though.

My parents won't even support my projects, let alone give me parts. Most people around me think what I do is stupid. My parents, my best friend, my worst enemy, etc.

My friends think the finished product is cool, but get totally lost when it comes to the technical stuff. :rolleyes:

Basement_Modder said:
My friends think the finished product is cool, but get totally lost when it comes to the technical stuff. :rolleyes:

Same. Everybody goes crazy over something I modded, but when they ask how I did it they are always left very confused.

XCVG said:
My parents won't even support my projects, let alone give me parts. Most people around me think what I do is stupid. My parents, my best friend, my worst enemy, etc.
Same. When I first started, my parents encouraged me to spend all of my time on here and soldering, but now I have to stay up ridiculously late to do any work on my projects. :gonk:

I edited the first page, and I added a question, so I'm bumping the topic so people can see. I know I'm seeming really n00bish, right now, but please answer it. Thanks.

To keep the SYSTEM permanently on (normally there is a new, separate power switch), just bridge it with wire, a paperclip, or even just solder. I don't think it's a problem on the SNES but the N64 has two separate power rails, so be careful when you bridge.

So, should I strip a little bit of the wires, and then wrap them around a paper clip? Please, elaborate. I'd appreciate it. I'm new to this, and this is such a delicate step, I really don't want to screw it up.

I pried off the power switch, but there's some yellowish-orangish thing user it. Is that supposed to be in the portable? Ir is it something that was supposed to be under the power switch when it comes off? Thanks for the help!

I'll try to get one up, soon, but as for now, I need to take my sister to the library, so I can't.

I'll edit this post when I have one, so keep an eye on this topic.

EDIT: Here they are.

5xrka1.jpg

1q01ud.jpg

ivd569.jpg

spduoi.jpg

That is part of the switch that is left over. Remove that by desoldering it or pliers carefully. After that bridge the two points like in this pic.
qss4er.jpg

Back