Laptop hard drive in an xbox 1

Hi all,

Looking for model numbers of 2.5 IDE (laptop) hard drives that anyone has managed to swap with the 8GB standard brick.

Have tried many versions of Chimp and a variety of IDE and SATA laptop drives.

The hardrive compatibility chart cannot be sorted by 'laptops'.

Have replaced power pack, heat sinks and case so far. Screen and battery in place. I've been stuck on this hard drive issue for ages.

Could never find model numbers for those used in Xbox mini and Xbox micro mods.

Thanks for any help.

What kind of mod are you using? I TSOP flashed mine and I'm pretty sure just about any drive would work (I believe SATA drives and/or their adapters could be problematic, but its been years since I've messed with that stuff).

yeah TSOP and chip'd boxes are capable of handling essentially any 2.5 or 1.8 HDD with a proper adapter. For the mini and micro mods they usually have them TSOP'd, maybe with split banks if it is a 1.0-1.1... To really go small the 1.8 inch ZIF drives are about as tiny as they get. I remember some were trying to use the compact flash drives, but if I recall correctly they had issues.

a drive's lockability should no longer be a concern unless you want to do a mod like the stock laptop. since there is no more xbox live for the original xbox I see absolutely no reason why not to tsop or chip (if available) the box even if you are intending on running a stock drive (not sure why you would, but so be it).

In the event that the hard drive or dvd drive fails, you don't have to do anything crazy to extract the eeprom. Just connect a new drive, throw in an AID or slayers and go back to square one.

Unit is softmodded only.

Tried zif adaptor with a toshiba IPOD drive - no joy.

Tried IDE/SATA adaptor with 2 full size drives and one laptop drive - no joy.

Tried IDE3.5/IDE2.5 with 2 laptop drives - no joy.

Did manage to clone drive onto a compact flash card but as you can imagine, loading is way to slow to be useable.

If it is a 1.1 you should tsop flash it. I would go with the 512 executor bios. Can't remember which one was the final but search it out at the usual places and you will find it. There is no reason not to flash at this point as it gives you the same features as a chip and takes two days of solder. The easiest way to do it Imo is to bend a tip of wire and dab some solder on it. Tape it down over the two points so it won't move, heat it up and once done clip off the excess wire. Repeat for point two.

Then you are safe to use whatever hdd you want with no locking at all. And it can run without the Dvd drive, which is handy if it quits.

k I did some research for you and came up with a list. This all depends upon how much you really want to tinker and how much you just want to try it out and have it work.

You will need to know which chip you have for TSOP. There may be a third wire that needs to be soldered, but usually it isn't required. You may also need a specific flashing program as well, but again it is not commonly needed.

AID has a flashing utility on it and I believe it includes the latest clean bios images as well as the program for the not often needed chip flash. For the life of me I cannot remember which one it is, but it needs to be erased before it can be written to and this program does that.

anyways, long story short there are two BIOSes that you should choose from: X2.5035 or iND.5003. I wouldn't get either of these from anywhere other than the scene or better yet, have them included on the AID disk. AID has the newest features and etc.

Given you have a 1.1 xbox, you actually have a 1 meg chip and the X2.5035 takes up 512, while IND takes up 256. If you wanted to you could follow one of the guides online that will let you split your BIOS up and you could put a switch in the back of the box that will let you switch between banks 1 and 2 (technically, you could have it split into three if you wanted - one 512 for x2.5035, one 256 for ind and one 256 for native xbox) and then switch back and forth between the two.

You don't have to do this though and IMO there isn't much need to put a switch in anymore since there hasn't been a new BIOS released in probably 6 years.. I doubt that anyone will put another out. The only real practical application for it is if you wanted to mod up the xbox for VGA support and you wanted a switch between a VGA BIOS and a non VGA Bios.

either way, if you choose not to add in a BIOS switch, when you flash it the flasher will automatically resize it to 1 meg, so you wont have to worry about that.

So the choices come down the x2.5035 and IND.5003. I would go with X2.5035. They both have essentially the same feature set but X2 has fewer bugs.

Any drive will work. Been modding xboxs for a very long time.

I have made dozens with laptop drives
I have a few with multiple ide drives ( yes completely doable and done)
Sata up to 1.5tb

You will need to do this as it always works for me.

Your unit is softmodded you will need to flash the bios according to your xbox. 1.6 will not work unless chipped bios not flashable.

ANY current bios will work IND, M8, Executer

You will need to enable the flash points on the motherboard. Again depends on the board some are on top and bottom some are just on the top.

A great disc to use to setup your flashes is the hexen disc

Once tsop is flashed

stick the ide laptop drive in with a 2.5" to 3.5 in ide adapter as it has the power plug on it. I will tell you that if you dont have the adapter the pinouts are almost the same for full size and laptop size drives.

Insert your hexen or aid disc whatever you want to use at this point. The xbox will boot to it first now. Your drive wont be locked and it wont matter if it is or not at this point as your xbox will only error if it cant find the boot files.

When you turn on your xbox it will want to format the partitions. Go ahead follow the instructions. It will make F and G partitions for you as well if needed.

Once done do a standard softmod and enjoy!

Back