Palmer' is building a Subzero Computer

arena slicer said:
He doesn't post anything her anymore though does he?
The last time he logged in was nearly two months ago so it's fair to say he doesn't.

They're doing some pretty cool flax over at Oculus though.

Yeah, I like the idea but I don't know how viable this is.
He's effectively building a very low-temperature air conditioner on a processor, but generally air conditioner coolant isn't explosive.

tomorrow.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
Nobody posts anything on this forum any more. It's dead, man.
We're working on that.

Working on what? Restarting a dead community? I don't think any addition to the forum can improve the outlook of the community. Communities persist regardless of the website, they don't exist because of the website. For this, the community is gone.

Heck, even the other ECE communities that I would frequent are dying out. Forums are dead, small websites are dead. Anything that isn't facebook, trying to be facebook, or trying to be acquired by facebook is dead.

SteamDNT said:
Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
We're working on that.

Working on what? Restarting a dead community? I don't think any addition to the forum can improve the outlook of the community. Communities persist regardless of the website, they don't exist because of the website. For this, the community is gone.

Heck, even the other ECE communities that I would frequent are dying out. Forums are dead, small websites are dead. Anything that isn't facebook, trying to be facebook, or trying to be acquired by facebook is dead.
Improving the site in general. If we start to do other things it can help attract new people. You can't go on facebook for retro console mods unless you want to see zenloc's stuff.

If you believe that then why are you still here?

Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
We're working on that.

Improving the site in general. If we start to do other things it can help attract new people. You can't go on facebook for retro console mods unless you want to see zenloc's stuff.

He, like the rest of us, is here to talk with the remainder of the community. Carpe diem in spite of a bleak future.
Yes, DNT, we're working on it. People have ideas, but there are still plenty of disagreements on what to do and it doesn't matter unless Palmer and Zero are on board.

ProgMetalMan said:
Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
Noah said:
SteamDNT said:
We're working on that.

He, like the rest of us, is here to talk with the remainder of the community. Carpe diem in spite of a bleak future.
Yes, DNT, we're working on it. People have ideas, but there are still plenty of disagreements on what to do and it doesn't matter unless Palmer and Zero are on board.

Prog gets it. It's not that I dislike the community. I'm all for improving the site in general, and I really, really want the community of yore to come back. I'm just pessimistic I guess.

I honestly don't think it can come back to the way it was from the days of yore, but that doesn't mean it can't evolve into something else that was as lively as it was back in our early days.

Part of the problem is that as far as retro modding consoles go, there is actually "too much" information out there that would allow any capable and willing person to put in the time, to build something relatively unassisted, making them less likely to actually be a part of the community. Then those who think this would be fun to try and go into it half assed want someone to hold their hand through it, start to become a pest, don't get the answers they are looking for fast enough and then leave.

The mystery has been revealed, leaving only us hobbyist who have been here the longest, getting any joy out of it because we are most likely pushing more advanced boundaries which for a casual modder would be out of reach anyway. Just the way I see it anyway.

Well, this place is certainly more alive now than it was a year ago -- viewing new posts doesn't take us to the dark ages anymore.
As an enthusiast (and not a modder), I still see cool stuff in the Finished Projects every time I bother to log onto MR.
We don't need PR, or social media. We just need to get creative again and expand our horizons -- the era of Hackaday reposting portables every other day is over, but that's not to say the modding scene is dead.

Back