ModRetro Information Reformation

I see Geb's wiki as a temp host that can be migrated if it ever has enough content and the mods have enough time

Isn't this site still owned by Facebook? It may be wise to decentralize the info and link to it for sake of independent ownership.

I don't believe that facebook actually owns Modretro, fairly certain it was a tongue in cheek joke.

A fair number of us have been trying to get a wiki going for a long time on the main website, but I really do fear that modretro doesn't have much longer as a forum.

Well, I am an idiot then.

I don't think that's true, there's plenty going on here, we just need to refocus some of our efforts and expand the scope of this forum.

I'm with Bush. And the Facebook thing was an April fool's joke that was never was really cleared up

Anyway, since people probably want to know what's going on with my wiki, it's getting hit absurdly hard by spambots. So hard in fact that it's lagging down the server to the point where it took me 20 minutes to get the thing to let me edit a text file, and in that time 15 spam accounts had registered on the wiki.

So, I'm effectively being DDOS'd by spambots trying to make a name for themselves through my wiki. It kinda really *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing sucks.

I managed to magic my way through that and things are back to running smoothly, however if you want an account you'll need to send me a PM so I can make one for you. If you don't want a password that's super awesome, you'll need to give me an email to send you a randomly generated on to, aswell.

Also, there are things in the work here for things to be slightly better, and my wiki is remaining unaffiliated with MR. Just, you know, so we're clear.

Okay, so copied a few guides over into "wiki format" but unfortunately I'm gone until Sunday. I'll be sure to post them onto geb's wiki and then link them here to get all of your thoughts.

Images hosted on the same server is a must. Nothing worse than finding a good guide that is useless without pictures, and the pictures are down.

I agree 100%. A big problem with a lot of the guides we have now is that imageshack is removing a lot of their older images, causing a lot of the guides to become useless.

I have some images from guides that i've saved on my computer
and dad's ultrabook, i can go through the ones on the ultrabook
and to my memory remember a diagram Crashbash drew for me.

If you want to repost those dead pics you can pm then to me, prog, or Noah and we can try to edit them back into the old guides or just repost in a new guide with credit and sticky them.

Oh great i'll see if i can retrive some lost files on my dads ultrabook and send you some files of pictures on this computer

So once we get a wiki up and running how can we integrate it into the website. While it's great idea and I'm all for it wiki's tend to be forgotten about as a sister site.

Can we get a main link on the front page to it and a sticky in each sub forum with a link to the wiki's respective forum category?

We're currently working on re-organizing the forums and stickies at the moment. The next step will probably be the wiki or having a proper main site.

bentomo said:
So once we get a wiki up and running how can we integrate it into the website. While it's great idea and I'm all for it wiki's tend to be forgotten about as a sister site.

Can we get a main link on the front page to it and a sticky in each sub forum with a link to the wiki's respective forum category?
TBH I have been wondering this for a while. A wiki is kind of a weird thing for what we'd use it for. Currently we have a bunch of guides and diagrams which are unified under the stickies. How exactly would it work in a wiki? I feel that it would be more spaced (or cluttered for that matter) than it currently is.

I envision it as having each console having its own page, and then have a Mods category that has a page for each individual mod, why it works, and who made it, what led to discover it, etc. if appropriate.
Each console page would have a section devoted to explaining what common mods are as well as a section linking to all known mods for it. This, in addition of course, to the basic information about what the console is.

With this kind of structure, the wiki format would work extremely well, IMO.

A wiki would allow us to be more verbose with our explanations while still being able to get the meat of the article quickly. In this way it could be not only a reference tool, but a learning tool.

I know I'm new here and all, but I would like to help, I have a whole lot of spare time since I'm 15 and it's summer. I have a good knowlage set of Java, HTML/CSS and PHP. If you want to see my latest project you can go to my Website or search "pub:Xemplar LLC" without quotes in the Google PlayStore.

Back