ZN-64p worklog (big pics)

Dtn

I wasn't really planning on making a full worklog, but I decided I'd post some pictures periodically as I work on my N64p in a zn-40. I am using 6400 mAh lipos and a psone screen, and I chose to do the project without frankencasing or painting anything to make it look the way I want it to. It is a tight fit especially with these large batteries but it's coming together and I think it'll work out. The pics really aren't in any particular order.

vhfp.jpg

random pic I took

r4qv.jpg

how the expansion pak will fit in the case with minor trimming and cart slot on back

fube.jpg

heatsinks and minor trimming on n64 board. luckily I really don't need to trim any more for this one as the space won't be needed, the only part of a zn-40 that is a tough fit is the thickness.

4e10.jpg

screen (upside down :S ) with minor trimming

5dfl.jpg

Dpad, start, A, and B all mounted

fe91.jpg

beginning work on control cutouts

uwfn.jpg

preliminary screen cut

at57.jpg

ugly wiring haha

314d.jpg

relocated cart slot

Questions/comments appreciated

ZN cases with 6400mah batteries are MY thing. :p

Looking pretty good, don't know if I missed it but what are those Dpad buttons?

SS

Not sure where I got them, they are just some jumbo tacts. I didn't have any decent dpads to put in but I thought the tacts would look nice and they did. Came out really well.

Did anyone but neildo and that orange one ever finish a zn-40 n64?

fd6e.jpg

7jfs.jpg

thickness is a fit!

6vn5.jpg

stuff installed.

7ean.jpg

no, those aren't scratches, they are hot glue strands lol. I'm using tall tacts for the psone screen controls. the speaker hole isn't perfect because i drilled it from the back without a drill press like an idiot. the screen hole also looks straighter irl.

And now, a question. I can either use tall tacts or just rubber tacts sticking out of the case for my shoulder buttons. Which do you guys think would be best? or if you have a different suggestion entirely.

I'd go rubber tacts. They will feel a lot nicer than the clicky talls after a while.

Got it all wired up and tested working, but as soon as I closed the case all the heat sinks fell off and the n64 stopped working. As I was poking around with the multimeter I believe I shorted 3.3v to 12v on the n64 leading me to believe I've frid it. The system runs very hot even thigh it's not displaying video and whenever I connect my pth regulator to it the voltage goes down from 3.28v to 1.26. New n64 in the mail tomorrow... Any advice how to hold these heatsinks on better? They are the stick on copper type with hot glue all over too.

Dtn said:
Not sure where I got them, they are just some jumbo tacts. I didn't have any decent dpads to put in but I thought the tacts would look nice and they did. Came out really well.

Did anyone but neildo and that orange one ever finish a zn-40 n64?

I did, sort of.

Dtn said:
Any advice how to hold these heatsinks on better? They are the stick on copper type with hot glue all over too.
I put a little dab of superglue on each corner of the heatsink, then thermal paste on the actual chip. It seems to work just fine for me. :p

Back