Wiikey VS WODE?

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
So, I recently came into a Gamecube, and "obtained" "several" games for it, which I have promptly backed up onto my computer. Or something like that.

I want to mod it, keeping it as a home console, but not limiting myself to the DD to load games from.

Anyway, I'm looking at around 640gb worth of Gamecube games and wondering what my best option would be.

I know the wiikey is rather popular because it's cheap and it does the job and whatnot, but from what I understand, the WODE will actually allow me to have a HDD in my cube, which with my current situation would be ideal. It also seems that the WODE is slightly easier to obtain right now, albeit for a higher price point.

So, basically, I couldn't find a thread that really outlined reasons to choose one or the other, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask a few questions

With the WODE, am I mistaken to think that I would be able to install a HDD into the cube?
Would both devices allow me to maintain a disk drive of some sort in the console? Would be need to be a Wii drive, or could I (relatively easily) make the gamecube drive work?
Does the Wiikey support HDD loading, and I just missed it?
And size restrictions aside, what are the reasons to choose one over the other?

How about a sundriver? That seems to be what you are after. I have no idea if it works with the gamecube though.

So, between the two, is there any clear reason to choose one over the other when price and size don't matter? I seem to recall Ashen saying he prefered the WODE, but I don't remember why, and it could be negated by the Swiss firmware deal.

Well, if you want to use an SD card, the wiikey would be a better choice IMO. I seem to remember Ashen saying that with the wode, you'd have to replug in the SD card every time, or something like that.
The wiikey doesnt support HDD, but the wode supports USB, HDD, and SD.

WODE is the clear choice for a normal console mod as long as you don't mind the increase in price. The WODE is the superior chip by far and plays ALL GC to perfection (sans audio streaming) where as the Wiikey has problems with some games.

The WODE is also bulkier and more complicated to set up (as far as wiring flax goes), which is why most of us use Wiikey's as the standard in portables.

The WODE is also capable of interfacing correctly with the original GC DVD drive. So you can have the WODE + keep the original DD, or stick a Wii DD in if you want super easy hook up.

The fact that Swiss is flashable to the Wiikey now makes it 100x cooler, and also means that Emu, may be able to fix alot of issues the Wiikey has. The WODE still wins in the end though.

So, can you confirm that HDD loading works right with the WODE on GC, or will I get everything and then end up upgrading my laptop instead?

Don't mind me, just being cautious before spending $200 modding a gamecube.

Back