Where should I start?

Hey,

I've been watching modding earlier and I decided to try it. The problem is that I don't really have much knowledge about electronics or such. I have dismounted and mounted computers but that's all. I know some basic things like batteries in series and in parallel. I've recently thinking about doing a portable gamecube, but it might be too hard for a beginner like me. So, would you know from where I should start?

Thanks,

--ShadesEdge--

Lots of people say you could start with an NES.

I'd say go for something like an N64, mostly because there's a lot of documentation on it and it's fairly simple.

First of all, thank you guys for the very quick answer.

Thanks for the idea. I already have a N64 with an expansion pack and 2 controllers so it might be cheaper and easier for me to start with. I've already seen Bacteria's videos for building a portable N64 (but not all of them) and it is something that looks very worth.

Storf, thanks for posting the book website, I can read some pages, but actually, the book will have the same cost as the project.

Again, thank you for your very quick and very helpful answers and I'll start building my N64 portable soon.

See ya,

--ShadesEdge--

That book is quite outdated. You can get everything it that book, updated, on this very site.

If you want an eBook copy of it that's doesn't require a second mortgage, there's one here for $30.

WARNING: NOT 100% POSITIVE ON LEGITIMACY OF THAT WEBSITE. USE AT OWN RISK!

ProgMetalMan said:
That book is quite outdated. You can get everything it that book, updated, on this very site.

If you want an eBook copy of it that's doesn't require a second mortgage, there's one here for $30.

WARNING: NOT 100% POSITIVE ON LEGITIMACY OF THAT WEBSITE. USE AT OWN RISK!

Thanks for the link, but as you said, everything is on that website. I will look for specific things that I don't know now, like how to do a headphone jack port, TV-Output port or simply sonething I saw in the iNto64, the buttons for the screen separately. I am new to the forum as you can obviously see, so where should I porst/search to gather these infos?

Thanks,

--ShadesEdge--

Always check the megastickies. They have tutorials, guides, research, and info. If you have a question, use the search on top, and then if you still need help, ask questions in the appropriate section.

Always check the megastickies. They have tutorials, guides, research, and info. If you have a question, use the search on top, and then if you still need help, ask questions in the appropriate section.

I would say it's easiest to start with something like an NOAC.

All you'd need to finish one up would be a NOAC, an old gameboy, and a 3.5 inch LCD. There'd only be minor case work, and your total cost on parts would be low. There'd also be minimal soldering, but enough to get your feet wet. Especially if you wanted something easy to work on, you could pick a NOAC with games already built in. If you feel confident enough, you could wire a cart slot to it to play cartridges, and make a new case big enough to hold the carts.

Of course, Herma is right about the N64 being well documented. There's a good amount of support for it. It's a little tougher than making an NOAC portable, but hey, whatever floats your boat. If you need any help, read the megastickies. If it isn't there, just ask. Good luck!

Back