what is this?

Most likely Jumper settings for Hard drive position, Master, Slave, cable select, etc.

Thursty said:
Most likely Jumper settings for Hard drive position, Master, Slave, cable select, etc.
i assume that is correct, but none of the SATA drives i have have that. but i cant tell from the picture if that is a 2.5" or a 3.5".

It looks like the back of a connector to me. But I'm pretty sure that SATA ones don't have exposed pins like that.

samjc3 said:
Thursty said:
i assume that is correct, but none of the SATA drives i have have that. but i cant tell from the picture if that is a 2.5" or a 3.5".

2.5" USB ext hard drive.
I got this pic off of the interwebz. I can get my own pics later today

That's probably a picture of the SATA pins going straight to the HDD - external HDDs are typically a desktop or laptop HDD and a simple board that bridges either SATA or PATA to some interface like FireWire/1394, USB, etc.

Well, I looked at the picture, and I see a USB connector on the green PCB. And those Pins goes to a SATA hard drive.

So I think the green PCB is a PCB out of a hard drive enclosure, which is stuck on the HD.

This is probably the internals of the external hdd he has to sell.

And joey, that pic is WAY too small to tell if it's ide or sata.

To be fair, there's no IDE/parallel port on it. If it were there, or looked like one could have been there, it would have been pretty obvious.

Still, joey, you didn't have to be that nasty about it. :/

Hard to tell at that angle. Could be a flat plug and a ribbon going down and soldered to the other side of the board.

those circled pins, are they soldered to the board, or are they headers sticking out?

At the lower-left corner of the drive, there is the Serial ATA logo. (Or at least it looks really close to the SATA logo, black band on top with a few squiggly indiscernible pixels that look like it says "SERIAL" on it with the letters "ATA" on the bottom of the black band.)

And that looks like a 2.5" hard drive too. All 2.5" SATA hard drives I've seen (and I have on my desk) have the platters near the connectors, and the read/write heads on the other end. See the pic, on the edges of the sticker you see two metal presses that seem to curve around the platters.

(All 3.5" hard disks I've seen has their platters farthest from the connectors, with the r/w heads closest to the connectors as possible.)

Back to the green PCB sticking out: There is a USB connector, and an LED next to the said connector. Pretty much says "USB EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE!" to me.

Aguiluz said:
At the lower-left corner of the drive, there is the Serial ATA logo. (Or at least it looks really close to the SATA logo, black band on top with a few squiggly indiscernible pixels that look like it says "SERIAL" on it with the letters "ATA" on the bottom of the black band.)

All 2.5" SATA hard drives I've seen (and I have on my desk) have the platters near the connectors, and the read/write heads on the other end.

A. All that is discernible is ATA, and that doesn't necessarily mean SATA.

B. Because EVERYONE knows that on sata drives the platters are on the connector end :rolleyes:

Obviously it's an external hdd enclosure, and he knows this, he's selling an uncased one on the forums right now.

Back