What game system should i start portabilizing?

krankxl1

Hello
I want to make a portable game system.
i really want to do the dreamcast of n64
do you think these are too hard for a first timer?
if so please tell me what to start with.
i dont really want to do the nes or snes
If there are good guides on making a portable game system, please tell me.

The N64 is a good beginner choice, it's not TOO hard although it's not the easiest. DC isn't really a good choice for a first timer. If I were you I'd have a look at XCVG's N64 guide and try some easy projects first, to learn how to solder etc. tehn make your portable. Good luck!

There's no need to make the same post in multiple forums, we read all of them.

Which console interests you most? It's entirely possible to jump straight into an advanced portable, but many people recommend starting with something simpler, like a NES-on-a-chip portable. Do you have prior electronics skills or knowledge? Do you have any tools?

Start by reading the stickies. The ones that apply most to you are these:
Screens
Batteries
N64

The Sega megasticky doesn't have any information about the Dreamcast, so I didn't link to it.

The N64 is the most commonly portablized console, and there is lots and lots of documentation on ever nook and cranny of it. The Dreamcast is more difficult because of it's disk drive and larger motherboard.

I agree with snowpenguin. It's not a bad choice for a first portable, but cab be difficult if you're not familiar on how to solder. Practice soldering a broken computer with some wires and LEDs. If you can practice with something simple to get working, like an audio amp, that's even better.

As for guides, reading the countless work logs on the n64s are your best bet. They'll show you a lot of the stuff you need to solder, and how to avoid some mistakes we all do. I would suggest buying a couple of n64's as spares just in case. :lol: I already burned through 3 of them.

Welcome to the forums!

I've been thinking of this recently and I've come to the conclusion that a PSOne portable is potentially the easiest if you use the console as the case. This might be my next project. Who knows?

krankxl1 said:
Hello
I want to make a portable game system.
i really want to do the dreamcast of n64
do you think these are too hard for a first timer?
if so please tell me what to start with.
i dont really want to do the nes or snes
If there are good guides on making a portable game system, please tell me.

i only have a wii
i have to buy all the systems i need to portabalize
im 13
i have been soldering for about 1-2 years
willing to spend about 150-200
i am pretty knowledgeable about motherboards
thanks

If you have that kind of experience soldering, then you should have no trouble. You need to buy a screen, batteries, the system, any optional accessories you may want to include, and a testing game. Some tact switches (or rubber tact switches), solder, spare pcb, and any some tools. If you already own the tools, which I'd assume you have some, then you're off to a good start. $200 should be able to buy everything you need, as long as you're careful and don't break anything.

Now start a work log!

zeturi said:
If you have that kind of experience soldering, then you should have no trouble. You need to buy a screen, batteries, the system, any optional accessories you may want to include, and a testing game. Some tact switches (or rubber tact switches), solder, spare pcb, and any some tools. If you already own the tools, which I'd assume you have some, then you're off to a good start. $200 should be able to buy everything you need, as long as you're careful and don't break anything.

Now start a work log!

thanks
i will start a work log

I'd like to share my experiences. First off, being OCD about things is not a good way to go, especially for your first time. For that one reason, YAP64 has become an expensive, drawn out project. Secondly, don't try to be too ambitious. That's killed a LOT of projects. Lastly, plan ahead, or at least have an idea of what you need, what you are going to do, and what will go where.

There's more stuff for me to share, but it's late, I'm tired, and I wanna watch some TV.

krankxl1 said:
please give me more info!
XCVG is basically saying not to be a perfectionist and to accept that your first portable doesn't have to be the Pieta. I'd show you a picture of my first portable for reference, but I haven't finished it yet. Suffice to say, it's really hideous.

Back