What are your favorite controllers?

bentomo

Frequent Poster
We all know that official controllers that aren't of the current generation can become expensive or rare. The problem is most third party controllers are crap quality. So, what are your favorite controllers of any brand or system?

So post your favorite controllers of good quality whether they are third party or not.

Mad katz micro con wired gamecube controller. I always feel comfortabel in one of those. Regular gamecube controllers are to bulky. I used mine so much, the grey stick is broken on both.

The Sega Genesis 3 button controller and my Madcatz Xbox Controller are my favorites. The Gamecube controller and Wii classic controller are close.

PS2 Logitech Wireless Controllers. Easily better than Sony brand.

3491.gif

The original Xbox controller. I have big hands, and it always fit very comfortably in my hands. Then they turned around and made them all pico-sized.

I also really like the original Xbox controller. I wouldn't consider my hands big, yet I find it comfortable. I also consider controllers like the Dualshock 3 comfortable. Thus, I see no real problems with it.

Logitech controllers have crappy D-Pads. I rarely use the D-Pad on my PC Logitech controller anyway, since using analog on retro games is like heaven.

Oh god, I hate that SuperPad Plus controller with a passion. Kind of an awkward shape and the c-buttons are in the wrong place. That and it's a Sega to hack.

Anyway, my favorite controller would probably be the 360 controller. Only used it a few times, but it's BASICALLY an XBOX S with wireless and shoulder buttons instead of the black/white ones. The S rocks, and by extention the 360 controller is better.

Most comfortable controller I'd say would be the Dreamcast one. It's awkward at first but after a little playing it feels natural. However, the controller itself is somewhat lacking. Only one analog stick (nice stick, bad cap), crappy (but usable for anything that's not a fightyer) d-pad, and awkwardly placed start button. I do like the VMU system with the window, and that they at least tried to fix the "cord out the bottom" with that little clip, which works well but leaves dents in the cable. Overall a good controller, but not a great one.

SNES controller is the best retro one. It felt good for the controllers of the day, but is still kind of awkward compared to modern controllers with handles. Good button layout, about the highest evolution of stickless controllers. Genesis controllers=sucks. The 3-button is lacking in buttons and is too big to hold like a SNES controller and too thin to hold like a modern one. The 6-button is just plain too small for the amount of buttons, but the layout is great for fighters.

I will also praise the N64 controller for being strange, yet working surprisingly well. It seems to me like Nintendo was too cheap for two analog sticks. They didn't want it on the same side as the d-pad, as that would make shooters impossible to play, so they put it in a separate prong in the middle. C-buttons are kinda odd, but work fairly well as just normal face buttons. Someone mentioned that the controller was pretty much made for SM64. I doubt that; if so, why would it have the d-pad and (almost never used) L button.

The N64 was designed so that different control schemes could be used. There are 3 different combinations in which it can be held. Seemed like a good idea, but no one used it.

βeta said:
The N64 was designed so that different control schemes could be used. There are 3 different combinations in which it can be held. Seemed like a good idea, but no one used it.
there were games that utilized the d-pad rather than the joystick, though there weren't many games (or any that I'm familiar with) that used the d-pad/joystick combo

I have a couple of mini xbox controllers(smaller than S) that I really like, because all the buttons are so densely placed, but I have very little experience with other controllers, so... yeah... I also like my wireless 5 button ambidextrous mouse made by microsoft.

That's a controller, right?...

Back