video camera

gman

I'm looking to buy a video camera that has good video quality. I'm looking to spend under or around $100. Anybody know of such a thing? I'll be using it to record mostly my finished projects cause using my webcam is annoying to setup and I'm confined to the short wire.

$100 and good quality are mutually exclusive. If you're on a shoestring budget, there are a few options:

1) Do you have a smartphone? Most high-end and some midrange phones will take passable video. Not good, but passable. Tape it to a tripod and make sure you have lots of light. Believe it or not, I've filmed quite a bit this way. It's a pain in the ass but it does work well enough for showing off projects. I wouldn't want to shoot a movie with it, but you probably could if you were desperate enough. Depending on how good your phone is, this sits between 3 and 4 in quality.
2) Search the used market- Craigslist, eBay, et cetera. You do not want anything analog- even expensive cameras look like flax by today's standards. Similarly, any low-end to midrange miniDV camcorder is probably worthless- my ZR800 looks like complete garbage compared to my phone. If you can find a relatively new HDV camcorder, they'll give you pretty Dang good video. You'll have to deal with tapes, and good luck getting on for under $100, but it's worth a shot.
3) Get more money. For about $200, you can get something that will do a half-decent job. If I remember correctly, my friend's camera cost about that much and we shot several videos on it. They look pretty good.
4) Buy something cheap and deal with the low quality. There are ways to minimize the crappyness. First, use a stable platform. Cheap cameras have no shake reduction and they're generally light and hard to grip so they bounce all over. Tripod that flax. Second, use a ton of light. You don't want so much that all you get is glare, but more light reduces noise. I generally use a pair of 300W halogens in a worklight for this. Third, you may need to dub the audio over after or record it separately, since again cheap cameras generally have flaxty audio. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, mod a mic jack in.

Hey gman I have used my iPod touch for video recording, and it's decent quality. An iPod touch 4th gen can film up to 720p video, and the 5th gen up to 1080p. That's how I filmed all my vids. If you can find either one cheap, that could work for you.

Back