The WiiP [ Upd. 10 March - Battery Question]

Akira

Hi all, decided i need myself one of these portables as well. Going for a A portable.

Naming it The Wiip ( A Portable :awesome: )
Main purpose is not the wii games that use motion sensing or the pointer but :

- Wii games that use the wii remote sideways
- Wii classic controller games
- Gamecube Games
- Emulators & Homebrew

Making a 3 way switch to switch between the wii remote directional pad, wii classic controller & gamecube controller

Still undecided on what modchip to use or loaders.
I have here available :

- sundriver,
good : because it replaces the pcb for the drive that is needed to load games, can have huge storage (up 1TB in laptop hdd size)
Good : only need 1 sd slot to relocate (front wii sd slot) for homebrew loading
bad : because of hdd power drain, and emulators still need to run of the sd port i think.

- Wiikey fusion,
Good because of swiss firmware and future things to come
Cant think of anything bad except for 32GB storage limit
bad : 2 sd slots to show outside of portable (3 if you want a sdgecko through gamecube memoryport)

- Softmod,
Good : Run games of usb hdd/memstick
bad : Needs drive pcboard & 2 sd slots to show outside of portable (3 if you want a sdgecko through gamecube memoryport)

I will make this Wiip in a gamecube arcade controller

DSC03055.JPG

Size is about 28 cm x 15 cm (till the middle point) x 2.7 cm running to 2.4cm in height.

Screen will be a 7" 4::3: 800x600 vga i got from ebay

DSC03142.JPG

DSC03143.JPG

Holding it for scale

DSC03145.JPG

DSC03149.JPG

This website is really inspirational (except that my virus scanner keeps yelling since 4 days that this site has a virus )
Seeing all these godlike projects here gives me a safe feeling that i can finish this someday.

Next step is to make a working controller switching system and some basic case working

Re: The WiiP [ Babysteps ]

Please Please finish this. Don't let it fade into oblivion and not being worked on like so many others. ;)

No worries, looks liks a nice challange. Almost done with my gameboy mod, then i can focus on this, meanwhile collecting parts.

Can anyone tell me how important the push sensor is for gamecube games? i see double tact switches mods for L + R , is that enough for most gamecube games?
Big bulky ear like L + R makes the design ugly imo.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the sliding pot used by the GC controllers in the L and R. Without them you CAN play games that use them (like super mario sunshine) but it makes it harder. I would recommend putting them in if you can without too much sacrifice but you can go without them as well.

I've been waiting to see someone tackle a wii in this manner. I hope it turns out well.

I finished cutting A board and soldered a very small YUV to VGA adapter on the board so it connects to the vga monitor.

DSC03214.JPG

Screen is a 7 Inch 800 x 600 4::3: vga, and the wii outputs 640 x 480p 4::3:

This looks great. Fantastic idea for the case. Love the shape of it. Nice big screen. Looking forward to your progress.

Little update.

Frankencased some parts in and gave the thing a quick paint just to smooth it out again.
Color is nothing final and i just for myself to get a better overal view

Also added a little more dept to the system to fit more crap and batteries

DSC03272.JPG

- 2 Ps2 Sticks
- A Classic Controller Dpad
- Ps2 Buttons
- 2 Speaker grills
- Opening for a 3 way switch
- Wii remote Home , Plus, Minus buttons

Re: The WiiP [ Upd. 24 June]

That looks really nice!

Why are you using PS2 buttons? Wont that make people think its a PS2 portable?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more progress :)

WatsuG said:
That looks really nice!
Why are you using PS2 buttons? Wont that make people think its a PS2 portable?

Just using the holes , will have custom buttons.

Can anyone tell me if i can use the same 3 voltage lines on a wii as from the cube?

Started working on this again and i am looking for some advice

After reading and searching i found out that the wii needs 12v to boot, so no sepperate voltage lines like the gamecube.

i read somewhere ashen said to use 4 packs x 3.7v = 14,8v at about 5000mAh batterysize i can fit.

i could do that but then it would be less mAh because 4 packs takes space.

What if i take 2 x 3.7v 12600mAh batterys = 7,4V and use this

Free-Shipping-LM2587-DC-DC-Converter-Boost-Step-Up-Power-Supply-Module-3-5-30V-to.jpg

input voltage: 3.5V-30V
output voltage: 4.0V-30V
input current: 5A MAX
constant working current: 3A

and just set it to 12V?

Whats the expertise awnser on this ? :oops:

Thanks!

Those are linear regulators. Works fine on low current aplications, but on something like power a portable, they sucks.

I recommend you use switching regs, preferably by Texas Instruments. I remember SS used some TI regs to power up his Wii by 2 li-po cells. Maybe ask him what exactly regs he used?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1e3-a2Pkw

This is blowing my mind, very cool stuff so far, I've been contemplating a Wii portable, but have been questioning it due to the weight of the Wii, but I'm assuming that is mostly the DVD drive, could the Wii operate via SD loaders without a DVD drive, much like Gamecube portables? assuming Wiikey is a requirement.

Thnx for the info. And yes the wii needs the drive board at least to boot games. It will start fine without it but starting a game needs the board.

I have a lot of used boards here and gonna see what can be cut off to minimal need.
But i am looking into a sundriver+ msata ssd
The storage space is cheaper in price then a huge usb stick
Plus loading times and compatability are very good compared to softmodding and a usb stick
But i think power drain is more then a usb stick..

Back