The 64 Boy

Almost as cool as the actual 64Boy. Not even.

But he did an okay job with the video. I'm all for a good presentation vid.

I don't get how people can be satisfied with a case like that. I'm a perfectionist with a touch of OCD, so I can't really comprehend how someone can look at a shabby case and say, "Hmm. I think I've done enough sanding for today." and go on with their lives.

You guys act like he did a Terrible job, or something... Did you even watch it past the intro?

With all of the guides and examples online, it isn't hard to build a quality unit. I've seen worse, but it doesn't do the original 64boy justice.

Yes, the folding one is ugly as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*, but his version of the 64 boy isn't that bad, and while it may not be as revolutionary as the 64boy was, it is still loads nicer than things we have seen from certain respected members of the community. Really, all he did 'wrong' was passing up on about 2 hours of sanding around the controls (he still did a lot, though), and re-using the name of a portable that was loved by the majority of this community.
Regardless, I think he built himself a lovely handheld, and it is something he should rightfully be proud of. Does it match his overzealous claims? No. However, that doesn't change that he didn't do a bad job, and greatly improved from his first lulzy triple n64 emblem attempt.
There is a ton of stuff he did right, he stayed very true to his concept, he included tons of features, he found a cool and simple way to control his screen, he included a well featured dock that matches and fits right on, he discovered a few new "gameplay" modes, and, most importantly, it looks he is having as Heck of a lot of fun... A Heck of a lot of fun.
But no, it sucks because he used the same fairly un-unique name of a portable that (no offence) didn't even survive being shipped. Correct me if I'm wrong, bud, but don't you, in fact, have the remains, or otherwise repaired said remains of Bentomo's 64 boy?

Bias. It's a bad thing.

Or... Is this because of the lack of genuine Minnesota dirt in the dock? maybe I'm looking at all of the wrong things. :p

That was the starlight64. The guy tore it up so bad that only the batteries and the regulator were still usable.

I'm not saying that he ripped off the 64 boy title. It's not a very unique title to begin with. It's just fine that he used the name, and I suppose his n64 works, which is a feat in of in itself.

And to clarify, it wasn't faulty building that destroyed the 64 boy. It went to South Carolina during the hottest week of the year. The temperature somehow got high enough to melt the hot glue and rearrange the entire system. Not many portables come back from that anyway.

bentomo said:
And to clarify, it wasn't faulty building that destroyed the 64 boy. It went to South Carolina during the hottest week of the year. The temperature somehow got high enough to melt the hot glue and rearrange the entire system. Not many portables come back from that anyway.

And that is why I do not use hardly a drop of superglue in a portable anymore. It's just not a good idea.

hailrazer said:
bentomo said:

And that is why I do not use hardly a drop of superglue in a portable anymore. It's just not a good idea.
If it gets hot enough to melt superglue, I imagine theres other things to worry about. I suppose all superglues are different, but Ive used some that I have to hold a spacer on the ignition prongs of a flamethrower and it didnt melt at all, despite being inside the stream of fire.

samjc3 said:
hailrazer said:
bentomo said:

If it gets hot enough to melt superglue, I imagine theres other things to worry about. I suppose all superglues are different, but Ive used some that I have to hold a spacer on the ignition prongs of a flamethrower and it didnt melt at all, despite being inside the stream of fire.

Oops I meant hot glue. Teach me to reply to a post on my iPhone. LOL

Basement_Modder said:
Kid has promise, and he probably doesn't know of bentomo or ModRetro so I'd cut him some slack...
^
Plus, no offense to bentomo, but The 64 Boy is a pretty common idea for an N64 portable name.

ProgMetalMan said:
Basement_Modder said:
Kid has promise, and he probably doesn't know of bentomo or ModRetro so I'd cut him some slack...
^
Plus, no offense to bentomo, but The 64 Boy is a pretty common idea for an N64 portable name.
Exactly! It's just fine that he wants to call it the 64 boy. It's not a unique name in the slightest. I picked it because I wanted it to be my definitive, best n64 portable. But since that didn't work out I'm going to need to make a new one, with a new name too.

Back