Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS.Progressive Scan Pics for Ashen UPDATE

zeldaxpro

Hey guys I was wondering if you (or anyone else) can help me out with something vital to my GCP. I wired up the GC Component Cable and it works fine displaying in VGA mode on my Dalian Screen. Here are just some pics:

gccomponetp.jpg

gccomponetpp.jpg

As you can see I have pin 12 lifted and connected to pin 1 via a 10k resistor. Also I have the H and V Sync wires connected. I wired up my wiikey fusion today and wanted to test out the quality. VGA looked very good I am very impressed. Then I remembered that some games have Progressive Scan (31khz). I booted up Wind Waker and holding the B button asked me if I wanted to display in Progressive. I hit yes and the quality is better, but there are vertical lines all across the screen. I disable progressive and they are gone (not visible in VGA). I know Tchay had this exact problem on his Envision at first and I am pretty sure it was not a grounding issue. I don't think he posted how he fixed it either. I need your guys help. If you ever had this problem and fixed it, please tell me how. I also remember about this could be due to the 12v that is not needed for the chip (pin 5)? Advice or even a fix would be great. Tchay or Ashen (as you used component in your portables), if you know a fix could you help me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. I am running the screen on 7.4v. Here is what Tchay said:

I keep having some sort of issue on my VGA side. After doing progressive scan, it displays properly except for very faint vertical lines going down the whole screen. Using the "auto" function in the screen menu only moves the lines across the screen (and recenters everything) but does not get rid of the lines.

I have tried using excessive ground and I think I am...? I am giving the chip 3.34v and the 12+ pin only 5v. I am also powering the whole LCD module off of 5v (reading as 5.4v on multimeter).

Composite seems to show these same vertical lines, but a little worse. VGA by itself seems to display without the lines, but maybe a little too bright? What do you guys suggest??? Should I give the screen more voltage? Am I missing ground somewhere??? Oh and I disconnected the last 3 lines of the component chip as they are for audio (don't think it matters).

I would be SO HAPPY if someone can help me fix this problem as its the LAST hurdle for the Envision.

Re: Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS. I need Help(Vertical Lines 31khz

Depending on the severity of it, Its normal to get some vertical lines when in progressive mode in my experience. GC's weren't meant to be displayed on fancy LCD's. Post some pics of the actual display?

Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS. I need Help(Vertical Lines 31khz VGA)

Ok thanks Ashen...I'll have some pics posted up here for you tomorrow so you can see for yourself...on your GameCube Revolution did you have any noticeable lines in progressive scan that affected gameplay? Just curious. The lines in my opinion are very noticeable across the screen. Tchay had the same problem and I think he fixed the problem but I am not sure how he did.

Re: Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS. I need Help(Vertical Lines 31khz

Ok Ashen here are those pics that I said I would take. The quality of the pics are pretty good so hopefully you can see the difference:

VGA (15khz):

ProgressiveScan2.jpg

ProgressiveScan5.jpg

ProgressiveScan19.jpg

ProgressiveScan23.jpg

Progressive Scan (31khz):
ProgressiveScan9.jpg

ProgressiveScan8.jpg

ProgressiveScan15.jpg

ProgressiveScan10.jpg

ProgressiveScan12.jpg

Well there you go. Hopefully you can tell me your opinion on it. Is that what your Progressive Scan looked like? Advice would be great. Thanks again.

Re: Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS.Progressive Scan Pics for Ashen UP

Wanna know a cool lil trick? With these dalian screens, there is an auto center/stretch feature. It can be found in the screen menu. When you select this auto feature, it can sometimes remove the vertical lines or make them VERY faint. I spent weeks playing around with this screen to get the Envision looking good.

BUT

Here's the weird part, depending on the game you are playing, the auto stretch feature will make the lines get better or worse. The BEST game to use this feature on is Metroid Prime 1 or 2. The WORST game to use this feature on is Twilight Princess. ALSO, activate the auto stretch when your screen is mostly blank or light colored and even. This will yield the best result in eliminating the vertical lines.

Now, after you use the auto stretch feature on Metroid Prime, you should notice the vertical lines move around. You may need to select the auto feature a couple times until the lines go away or become faint. Then after that, you can leave the settings alone for good, and the vertical lines should be gone even after you turn off your system or play a different game.

Re: Tchay/Ashen/Zenl0c/SS.Progressive Scan Pics for Ashen UP

Thanks Tchay for that extra advice because I would not of figured that out myself lol. I do have a copy of Metroid Prime 1 so I can try to use the method you suggested. I tried your other method which was the "ground shielding" and it did make the lines less visible. I will continue to try both methods until the vertical lines are very very faintly, or even complete gone. I will keep you updated on this issue and hopefully I can fully solve it. If you can think of anything else that helped solve your Envision problem in regards to this please post it. Thanks again.

Back