Splitting audio outputs

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
I have only one audio output on m computer and I want it to go to two amps. The problem is, one is a bass amp and combines stereo inputs. When just using a splitter, it causes my stereo amp to no longer be in stereo. (volume isn't an issue because they have independent volume controls)

Is there any way to combine the left and right channels without affecting the stereo further up the line?

I think if you use resistors in the combining circuit that will keep things working right. Not sure of the values, somewhere between 75 and 10K ohms. Maybe you should use capacitors inline, too, but I don't think this is the case. The resistors will reduce the strength of the signal, you can just turn it up a bit or add an opamp.

Bah, someone with knowledge of analog circuitry can correct my mistakes.

I actually had the idea of resistors shortly after I posted this. The less resistance there is, the more they'll be combined. So, the larger, the less they'll be combined. I used 1meg resistors because this bass amp has a HUGE amount of gain. It's too loud even at 2. :p But yeah, I got it working. Just a 1meg resistor on each line before the amp, and connect them together after.

Back