Soldering breaks my controllers?

I finally got around to buying some cheap third-party controllers for my SNES to make an arcade stick controller to play Super Street Fighter II with. I took off the plastic case of one of the controllers and drilled a hole in the signal side of the "B" button and one in the ground side and tried soldering some wires in there. My first problem is that the solder won't adhere to the board, and my second is that the "B" button won't work anymore. I tried completing the connection with just a piece of wire and even that doesn't work. I've experienced before certain electronics not working after I try soldering things on them. Am I damaging it with the soldering iron or something? It's really frustrating because I tried doing the same thing to the "A" button, and although the solder didn't stick, it still worked when I completed the connection with a piece of wire. Has anyone else experienced this?

i actually found out like 5 minutes after I posted this that there was a small piece of metal wedged in between the connection. I just brushed it out and now everything is hunky dory.

Back