So what if we could make some money.

zeturi

DEMON PIE!
zeturi said:
If we all teamed up, and everyone had a specific job, i.e.

bob relocates cart slots
joe vac-forms
larry frankencases
john wires everything up

Whatever, you get my drift. Everyone who's good at these things can take say ten n64s, do their job, then send it them along to the next guy to his part. Then all then are sold for a total of $6000. First some money gets used to cover the cost of parts, then the rest is divided up amongst the workers, which results in epic win for everybody.
Since they're being mass-produced, I think even $400 each is still cheap. So $4000 for the lot, minus some money for parts. What does everyone think?

Good luck getting that kind of organization from a bunch of teenagers all across the country. :rolleyes:

Shipping would kill the effeciency. Besides, what if somebody breaks something?

Maybe IRL, like at ComiCon.

Someone could break something, but that's why we'd try to get someone who we know is excellent at what they want to do. Besides, looking at the numbers, parts will cost:

Zn-whatever case: $8
2 N64s (1 spare in case anything happens) ~ $30
Psone screen $50
Batteries and charger $60
Misc switches, buttons, solder, glue, paint, etc. $50

Overshooting some of these numbers, totals to about $200 to build. There will be shipping charges, which would really kill things a bit. Ground shipping is cheap, but I honestly have no idea how much it would be in total.

If we could gather up a few trustworthy members who happen to be good at their jobs, then we could make a paypal account which could be used to buy the parts, then send the parts to whoever will be working on them. When everyone finishes their jobs, they send their parts to Palmer or whoever could be entrusted with final assembly, and then have them ready to sell.

PalmerTech said:
Shipping would kill the effeciency. Besides, what if somebody breaks something?

Maybe IRL, like at ComiCon.
A ComiCon N64 portable would be awesome! You could see portabalizing first hand!

zeturi said:
Someone could break something, but that's why we'd try to get someone who we know is excellent at what they want to do. Besides, looking at the numbers, parts will cost:

Zn-whatever case: $8
2 N64s (1 spare in case anything happens) ~ $30
Psone screen $50
Batteries and charger $60
Misc switches, buttons, solder, glue, paint, etc. $50

Overshooting some of these numbers, totals to about $200 to build. There will be shipping charges, which would really kill things a bit. Ground shipping is cheap, but I honestly have no idea how much it would be in total.

If we could gather up a few trustworthy members who happen to be good at their jobs, then we could make a paypal account which could be used to buy the parts, then send the parts to whoever will be working on them. When everyone finishes their jobs, they send their parts to Palmer or whoever could be entrusted with final assembly, and then have them ready to sell.

Hate to bash new ideas but, as with Communism, its great only in theory. :neutral2:

FINE. THEN I'LL JUST DO IT MYSELF AND MAKE ALL THE MONEY HAHAHAHAHAHA

ILL SHOW YOU ALL11111

TBH, from every person who's made a commission or sold a portable before I've got one answer: you don't make much money, and you spend tens of hours at minimum making it.

The only ways I can see it becoming even somewhat profitable are an assembly line style thing but with no shipping as in your idea, and something like LOB is doing, CNC standardizing it, etc.

snowpenguin said:
TBH, from every person who's made a commission or sold a portable before I've got one answer: you don't make much money, and you spend tens of hours at minimum making it.

The only ways I can see it becoming even somewhat profitable are an assembly line style thing but with no shipping as in your idea, and something like LOB is doing, CNC standardizing it, etc.

Yeah so true. Also, I am taking AP Psychology and learned something you guys might want to think about:

Any activity that is done for the purpose of reward (AKA money) will become less enjoyable and seen as a "job." For example, studies have shown that if you get good grades because your parents will give you money for the A's, you will look at school as more of a job.

In contrast, if you do an activity purely for its self-rewarding aspects (AKA you enjoy it deep down as a hoby) you will find it to be a passionate endeavor that is worth every moment. If you get good grades for your own benefit because you enjoy getting good grades, you will enjoy school tenfold and see it as a beneficial activity(so the studies say).

So an assembly line or any form of mass producing portables might make portablizing more of a chore :(

But, Zeturi, if you are serious about it then forget what I am saying, or anyone else for that matter. GO FOR IT DUDE! :) Do what feels right.

Back