So I'm an EMT now.

Twilight Wolf

Frequent Poster
Yep. I passed my EMT-Basic course with an A, got a certificate of completion from the company that was providing it, and yesterday a state EMS representative oversaw my class's skills assessment. I passed. One more written test and I have a certification that's good anywhere in the entire United States.

I'm pretty proud of myself. This is the most seriously I've taken any of my post-high school education thus far and it really paid off. My class was kickass as well -- lots of great people to work together with, and my instructor was totally amazing. The material wasn't easy but she made it understandable and fun, and since she's actually a paramedic we learned why we're learning everything. I'm actually sad it's over, because it was fun.

Next step? I'm gonna try to become a Special Events medic and work for this company at least over the summer, which means I'll not only be putting my skills to use and possibly saving lives, but I'll be getting paid to attend all the neat flax Reno has going on. Then in the fall I'll apply for their EMT-Advanced course, which my EMT-B instructor will also be teaching.

So yeah, just wanted to share that with you guys. That's also why I've been somewhat inactive the past few months.

Try going for a paramedic some time. My father was one and my brother is a fireman/paramedic and they both really enjoy(ed) the paramedic jobs.

If you go to be a paramedic you would have to learn a bit more about drugs as you'd be giving them, and you would have to go through ALS procedures and whatnot.

Also I'm sure when you do ambulance runs you'll be able to tell lots of stories of encounters, from stupid to gruesome.

Thanks, guys! ::3:

Herma, that's the plan, though I'm strongly considering working with fire rather than with REMSA, the local EMS company, because fire's paramedics make so much more money here, but I'll see what happens. If I can get a job with Susanville's EMS company that'd be excellent too -- they pay their Basics more than REMSA pays their paramedics. My instructor's husband works as an Intermediate in Susanville but lives in Reno, so he commutes, but the pay makes it worthwhile.

However, REMSA is one of the highest-rated agencies in the entire country, and I've loved working with everyone here, and everyone I've talked to loves working there, so I could see sticking around for a while, and the pay is still not half bad for someone like me. Even if I don't go for full paramedic, I'll probably try to get an ambulance job as an Intermediate/Advanced -- same level, but Nevada still insists on calling them Intermediates.

SS: Yes, but as it is my scope of practice only lets me use the Medigun and, depending on who hires me, the Kritzkrieg. Advanced gets to use the Quick-Fix.

That's great, man! I have to commend you for pursuing a career that takes such hard work and training. My sister is working crazy hard to be a nurse while also holding down a job at an old folk's home, and just seeing how intent she is on becoming what she wants to be really inspires me.

It's also cool you're saving lives.

this is one of the single most amazing things you can do with your life- dedicate it to saving and helping people. when I missed out on my chance to be a bushfire fighter I regretted it. this is an amazing opportunity. Don't waste it.

PalmerTech said:
Awesome! Are you going to get an ambulance driver's license?

Actually, at least here, you can drive an ambulance with a standard license. You do have to take a training course, however. If I get an EMT-Advanced cert and want to work on an ambulance I think I'll have to take that, though -- this company's ambulances are operated by a two-man crew (occasionally three if there's a student like myself) and both need to be able to drive. However, another option with that level of training is working as a dispatcher, as part of the job is being able to talk callers through providing emergency care for whoever they're calling for, which could also be cool. I liked the ambulance work I got to do as part of training, though.

If you work for fire you could get your class B license to drive the trucks. In lots of states a special license type isn't needed for an ambulance, but some sort of other certification is needed, like you were saying, you would need to take a course. It's different for a fire truck, usually you'll need a class B license. Which, in an unrelated note, is the same class type is for driving buses and whatnot, but the type fire fighters get is usually a restricted class B type only for driving fire trucks.

Ah, gotcha. You need a special license in California, but it is just a written test and a health form:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/ambu_drvr_cert.htm

I have been wanting to get one for the lulz, but the catch is that you have to have an EMT certificate before you can renew the license. I would probably just get it next time I happen to be at the DMV and then let it expire. :p

Palmer posted 4/6/2013 nevar fogret.

Congrats T_W. I'm planning on going into medicine, but I couldn't possibly be an EMT, seems scary as Heck.

Thanks for the support, guys!

I'll be honest, I'm nervous as Heck about actually doing this as a job. The human body can break in so many ways and sometimes people will die. That's heavy stuff to deal with. But the thing is, I'm not gonna be any worse than anyone else just starting out -- in fact, I'll probably have a little head start considering how well I did in class. Real confidence will come with experience, though I have to act confident from the get-go. And as long as I provide quality care to the best of my ability and the extent of my scope of practice, that's all I have to do -- if I meet that requirement and someone still dies, well, I've done my best and there isn't anything I can do about it beyond that.

What helps is to think of the human body as a complex machine with parts that malfunction or break -- my job isn't necessarily to fix anything, but instead to figure out what's wrong and stabilize it enough that it can be brought to someone who can fix it. Throw in comfort, reassurance, and helpfulness -- the parts of patient care beyond dealing with just the body -- and that's basically the whole job. Not so intimidating when broken down like that.

You'll be amazed with what people will live through as well. Some people just don't seem to die.

But yeah, being a first responder is a pretty big responsibility. Also be ready if anything happens in a public place to kindly tell people to leave you the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* alone and to not touch the patient. Especially with falls and other such trauma that could involve spinal injury, for some reason the first instinct of so many people is to sit them up and make them move.

Hermaphroditus said:
You'll be amazed with what people will live through as well. Some people just don't seem to die.

Something you'd care to share with us? :p

Hermaphroditus said:
But yeah, being a first responder is a pretty big responsibility. Also be ready if anything happens in a public place to kindly tell people to leave you the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* alone and to not touch the patient. Especially with falls and other such trauma that could involve spinal injury, for some reason the first instinct of so many people is to sit them up and make them move.

Yep, public places is where I'd be working if I got the job I'm hoping for. And you're right -- when in doubt, always motha*Can'tSayThisOnTV*in' C-Spine. I hate it, but it has to be done DX

Back