Ruggedised Wii System

Ruggedised Wii System ~ Worklog

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and some of the posts here inspired me to create a ruggedised Wii for taking with me for overseas work.

My main goals for this project are:

1) Portability - The Total weight and Size need to be kept to a minimum - I have been building into this case: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... rm=KEYWORD
2) Survivability - The unit must be shock proof & water tight when closed, I don't want to have to baby this thing when travelling overseas with it.
3) Self Contained - All peripherals + games need to be stored in the case - therefore I will be using a HDD usb-loader soft-mod & leaving enough room for a controller, headset & power pack.
4) Duplication - I have where ever possible used parts from devices that are in common supply, as i will be wanting to make a few of these as gifts in the future.

High Level Design:

My design will be using Perspex Sheets to seperate the various boards from eachother, each board will be screwed to the sheet it sits on, and each sheet will be seperated by spacers:

LayeredDesign.gif

Here is my progress So Far:

Before we move on - please note I have taken these photos with my mobile phone - so the quality will be sub par.

Firstly I took apart the Wii and the DVD player and soldered them together as necessary - at this point the boards were connecting using their own power systems - these get joined later on. I have also added mountable switches to the Wii for mounting on the case.

ComponentsConnectedtogther.jpg

Next I moved onto the screen assembly:

LCDBackView.jpg

Here you can see the layers of the screen as described in the high level design:

LCD-SideView.jpg

And the finished Screen placed in the top half of the Case:

LCD2.jpg

The LCD will be backed by a rubber mat and a rubber seal will be added between the perspex & case rim for shock proofing.

The next step is to start on the bottom layers (Wii DVD Board, Wii & HDD):

HDDMobolayers12.jpg

Then the DVD Mobo & Power Regular Layer:

TopLAyers-DVDPSU.jpg

This last image shows that there is enough room for the controllers, and though it is not in the photo - an IR headset will go in here as well.

Next Steps:

Next I will be working on locating a power supply that is smaller than the Wii power brick that the system currently runs from.

I will also be measuring my hand cut Perspex panels and having them rebuilt by my local supplier cut to size, this will allow the entire unit to be screwed together tightly and securely.

I am also looking at getting an Iceberq heatsink+fan as featured in Ashen's Wii Laptop (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9390&start=20) Props for pointing out the unit - I couldn't find anything nearly as good!

Some things I am having trouble with:

IR Issues

I had an idea to use the on-board IR headset from the Portable DVD player I disassembled to double as the sensor bar for the Wiimote. However I have run into an issue with the Wiimote picking up the IR signals properly. I'm not sure if this is because the IR LEDS have too narrow of a transmit angle (the IR headset works at a wide angle so I'm guessing this is not the problem) or if the wavelength of the IR LEDS are not suitable for the Wiimote.

After some research I can see that the ideal Wiimote LED wavelength is 940nm, and i suspect that the ones in use are around the 840nm mark (I'm guessing this is the case because i can see a faint glow from the leds when the unit is on.)

What I will try to do is replace the IR LEDs on the system with some that transmit at 950nm and then replace the receiver on the headphones to work on this new frequency. Alternatively i have read that the Wiimote doesn't use an IR received but a camera looking through an IR filter - perhaps if i was able to get a new material to filter the lower frequency my problems may also go away. If its all too hard ill just mount the sensor bar LEDs next to the IR LEDs. (though this is not as elegant as i would have liked.)

Can anyone Comment in this issue with some pointers?

Battery Issues

Currently I'm running the entire system from the Wii PSU, and am using a voltage regulator to provide 9V to the LCD + IR (is there somewhere I can pull 9v from the Wii itself? I have heard that the sensor bar uses 9V but haven't yet confirmed this with my multimeter as I'm out of the country.)

I want to eventually power my entire system through a LiPo System purely due to the weight / power advantages. However im wondering if i should try to assemble my own pack with all the necessary protection & indicator circuitry or just use something like this: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000/.

I'm after Opinions on whether I will be able to make something similar without a weight or cost blow-out? (I'm not saying that I will be able to make something BETTER - but making it myself will me more satisfying. :) )

Heat Issues

I'm looking at installing a Low Profile Heat sink with a fan, but i would like to get some pointers on how I can measure the heat of the GPU and what levels are safe - I would like to avoid guesswork, would it be an idea to put in a temperature sensor as a safety?

Regarding the sensor bar: The wiimote does indeed have a camera that looks through an IR filter to see where the sensor bar is. Each end of the bar has five leds in a line, so the camera sees those two bars of light and by the angle of the lines and space inbetween them calculates where the wiimote is pointing.

3U1Ab.jpg

(Protip! Use a cell phone camera to see if you can see your IR leds from where the wiimote is.)

If you're sure you have two lines set up and the camera can see them from where they are, then it's probably your LED wavelength. I suspect that filter may be somewhat precise to reduce interference. 940nm LEDs shouldn't be too expensive, and you only need 6-10.

If you build a 14.8v li-po pack the Wii will happily accept even the fully charged max voltage 16+v of the pack and be fine. The Wii does not, as far as I know put out 9v from anywhere, so to deal with that this should suit you nicely:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AX3022-Voltage- ... 0771613572

As for cooling, this is what I'm using in my Wii Laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-35110106

If you have a newer revision Wii (C/RVL-CPU-30 or 40) with the micro CPU chip it'll cover both the CPU and GPU entirely with no need to modify anything and it keeps both chips super cooled running as low as 5v.

Here is a pic of my board with that cooler:

DSCN1502.jpg

I see you've got the DVD drives daughterboard hooked up in your pics. So you must've already realized that softmod USB loaders wont work without it.

When Ben Heck made his Wii laptop, he put the 2 groups of IR LEDs closer together than the stock sensor bar, allowing them to work better up close.

Now, is this going to be ruggedized or ruggedized?

I deal with assembling electronics and boxes which electronics go in all day, so basically I'm asking if you're planning on using small shock-mounts, and o-ring screws with nylock nuts, etc etc. Also RTV on everything that doesn't have an O-ring that's on a hole to the outside.

At any rate, I like how it's coming out so far. You've a good baseline idea and such.

Back