robm's GamePi XL Build (3d-printed rPi-based 7" touchscreen handheld emulator)

robm

Billy Mays
Staff member
Hi, Billy Mays here for the GamePi XL build!

[[[ WORK IN PROGRESS - WILL MOVE TO COMPLETED PROJECTS ONCE ... COMPLETE ]]]

This is a build from araymbox's builds on Instructables, Thingiverse, etc. I happen to have all the bits and pieces, for the most part, laying around the house to put this project together, so I started printing the case this week.

The case is split into 11 pieces for printing on smaller build surfaces. This uses the official rPi 7" touchscreen, so it is quite large... which is exactly what I wanted, most handheld emulators have too small of a screen for me.

One of the reasons I'm posting this on MR is because the original Instructable project is a couple years old and has some outdated links for the various parts. This will serve as an easier-to-follow guide for those interested in making one of these themselves.

araymbox's original Instructables page
GamePi XL STL Thingiverse download page
GamePi 2 STL Thingiverse download page - NEEDED FOR DIRECTIONAL BUTTONS ONLY
Merged controls / screen holder STLs - Not required but makes for a cleaner build.
Face button - I am not happy with this design but it'll work. Remixed from araymbox's GamePi 2 project.

Build sheet: (Not complete, working on finding new links from original author's build)
Raspberry Pi 3 ($44.41)
Raspberry Pi Official 7" Touchscreen ($86.99)
Switched audio jack ($6.99)
Type A Female Usb Connectors (10 pieces) ($10.36)
Joystick breakout modules (5 pieces) ($8.99)
5000mah power bank ($17.99)
8mm soft tactile buttons (10 piece) ($5.64)
Double-sided protoyping board (10 pieces) ($7.29)

Prices are as of 9/2024, obviously subject to change, just there for rough estimate.

One thing you'll notice quick is that this project can get pricey if you don't already have some of these pieces around. Just the rPi and screen will run you about $130, and you still have batteries and electronics to pick up, and at that price point you're getting close to a higher-end prebuilt. The pros to this build outweigh the cost factor for me in that it has a touchscreen and runs the raspberry pi hardware, making it way easier to modify / build / etc. Not to mention I already had the screen and rPi laying around from another project from a few years ago.

At the moment, problems that have arisen are as follows:
The original case design calls for buttons from a Sabrent game controller that is just not ... available... anywhere. This shouldn't be hard to overcome, but be aware of that when going through the parts list. Off the bat, the GamePi 2 STL files contain the directional buttons that work great in the case, but the ABXY buttons do not. I am probably going to have to make my own.

Original build calls for two 1.5" speakers, but there is no place for them in the case. Audio may not be possible with this build, or will need figured out. (Headphones through the rPi only?)

Being a split design, you will need to glue the pieces together but it's built with that in mind - the frame and everything pieces together beautifully.

That said, it is 3d printed, so if you don't plan to finish it (I don't, at least for the moment,) plan to live with some gaps. I think next iteration I'd combine the controls and the screen holder pieces together in the STL, because I don't see a reason to keep those separate and consist of the worst of the gaps (pictures upcoming.)

The "official" mounting point for the raspberry pi onto the screen won't work as it raises the pi too high for the back piece. Looking at the original build's pictures, it looks like a 3d printed case was used, so once I find one on Thingiverse that works I'll post it.

To be continued!

Last edited:
Screen mockup:

I really like how it feels, it's a chonker. 11 1/8" long by 4 5/8" wide. Don't know how thick it's going to be yet but it'll be hefty.

Getting around not having the Sabrent controller available anymore required that I hobble a face button together from another STL file, I'm not really happy with how it turned out but it took me 20 prints before I finally got a design to fit, so I'm stopping there. I might revisit it later, but it's functional for now.

New joystick breakout boards arrived today, love em - but the existing posts won't work for them. So, I modified the combined controls / screen holder STLs to reflect that, and also cut out the joystick towers to make room for the pins.

Hilariously, Tinkcercad had the exact form factor joystick model, so mocking it up was super easy.

New joystick breakout boards arrived today, love em - but the existing posts won't work for them. So, I modified the combined controls / screen holder STLs to reflect that, and also cut out the joystick towers to make room for the pins.

Hilariously, Tinkcercad had the exact form factor joystick model, so mocking it up was super easy.

That's super lucky. Pumped to see it!

Back