Replace a battery without losing your savegame!, It's possib

Adr990

Hey guys,

I thought of this for quite a while, but I only tried it today.

I'll keep a long story short, and just post the video:

The description is under the video!

This should work very pretty much every game that uses a battery to save the game data. So not just Gameboy games.

Enjoy, and share with everyone! (Before it's to late for more people!)

Adr990

P.S. I'm also working on a portable. :p

Re: Replace a battery without losing your savegame!, It's po

Amazing simple and cheaper then a flash cart to dump the save game. Nice job!

Yes, and just to mention this method also works for SNES games etc.
So you don't have to buy a Retrode or SNES Everdrive to backup your save file.

Hopefully several news blogs will have this on their website soon. :)
The time runs out for our games, hehe.

ba humbug, you have just taken all the fun out of having to forcibly start over from scratch every 10 years.

Edit: ps, you'll get my thanks after I do this to my Legend of Zelda's, Oracle's of Seasons / Ages, and Links Awakening DX

Haha, and you're welcome, I'm glad that this method already gets used by others now.

I will try to film a few more games and try a GBA game, I believe I have a game with a battery on the GBA.

Cool, but I don't think this is new.

You could also just wire two batteries in parallel while you're doing the switch.

Or if you're fast enough there should be enough stored power to keep the save alive while you change the battery (much easier if you've installed a battery holder, although that's more for console carts).

Handy part about this, I have about 10 games or so I wouldn't mind doing it to, and by pulling the cover off the gameboy / console to have full access, I should be able to do the swap without needing the quick fix tape or needing to tip toe around something to keep power to the game otherwise.

Mr. Hooker said:
needing to tip toe around something to keep power to the game otherwise.

I'm sorry, but wiring a second battery in parallel is ridiculously easy. I'd hardly call it having to "tip toe around something". You could literally do it with no prior experience.

Plus, it means you could do a proper repair instead of using tape.

Well, if you're using smaller batteries than the 2032s (originally used battery), why not slip one in between the contacts then remove the dying battery? The ones he's using seem small enough to do so.

Back