question about shockslayer's discovery

Datareen

could i use a 7.4v battery going into psone screen and from the battery a 7805 regulator having 5v go into the gamecube?

wait 11.1v i cant use the regulator that's on the rev c GameCube?!?
would a 14.8v still work?
if none of those work, what about 14.8v battery going to 7812 regulator going to gamecube

Here's what you need to know about GC's, voltage, regulators, etc.

All official Nintendo regulators(the one that came with your cube) work the exact same way; Rev C just has it onboard.

They can all be run from, at the lowest, 10.2v. And up to what, a projected 35v? Zenloc's tested a bit over 20v, you likely won't be working with anything over 14.8v so don't worry about over-volting it.

The official regulator works fine with an 11.1v battery pack, as long as the pack's a good one and keeps its voltage above the GC's cutoff point, at 10.1v. My original two GCp's had 11.1v batterypacks, both of the packs cut off shortly before the GC did, which was perfect.

So, you don't need to build Zenloc's regulator if you are using and 11.1v pack or higher. However, I would do it anyways, and here's why:

- Battery packs get progressively flaxty over time(cutting off at 10v, 9.5v, etc), so building the regulator means eliminating the original powerboard's cutoff point, meaning your GC will run till the battery dies everytime(which is a good thing.)

- It's much more efficient than the original regulator. The original was designed with only a wallwart in mind, where efficiency didn't matter much. We are changing this. You can use lower voltages and less regulation, increasing battery life. It's significant, you want this.

- It's ridiculously easy to build, and ridiculously cheap(free samples, a few resistors and a few caps that you can probably pick up a radioshack)

- All GC's(including Rev C as demonstrated by Ashen/SonyQrio) support using it, so there's no real reason not to, this should be acknowledged as one of those basic steps of portablizing, like the PTH08080 and the N64, it's just a given nowadays.

Additional notes:
- We also call it Zenloc's reg because it's shorter than the part numbers, anyone remember who discovered the PTH08080(or PTH08000) for the N64? Didn't think so. :p

- I am tired of answering the same questions over and over again when they are so thoroughly covered in the sticky. Think tomorrow I'll just make a comprehensive guide for morons, and then just allow Ashen to post new discoveries as he finds them, that's all this section is good for anyways. :dah:

SS

Back