Pirating isn't seeing a good future.

J.D

No Stranger To Love
I've seen a lot of news reports lately involving piracy, in Oregon, California, Arizona, everywhere I go. It seems like ISPs are growing some balls, and have been a lot more strict. A lot more people are being caught pirating video games and music and such, and must pay $1,000,000+ or go to jail, or have their parents have penalties. I know that I'm definitely not going to pirate stuff anymore unless it's moral, not just downloadin' flax. Plus, look what happened to this guy

What do you guys think?

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAH

Piracy will continue to grow at the same rate it has for the past 10 years.
And that won't change for quite some time.

If you get caught, you probably deserved it.
If not for being a pirate, then for being a stupid enough one to get caught.

One of the big "problems" with piracy is accessibility.
It takes a little know-how and some decent balls to shoplift.
It takes more to rob homes.
It takes the ability to Left-Click to pirate Music, Movies, TV Shows, Programs, Literature, Videogames, etc, and Balls are optional.

If you watch something that was illegally uploaded (say Avatar....cough cough). Are you breaking the law? Could you face ungodly fines? Do tell.

J.D said:
I've seen a lot of news reports lately involving piracy, in Oregon, California, Arizona, everywhere I go. It seems like ISPs are growing some balls, and have been a lot more strict. A lot more people are being caught pirating video games and music and such, and must pay $1,000,000+ or go to jail, or have their parents have penalties. I know that I'm definitely not going to pirate stuff anymore unless it's moral, not just downloadin' flax. Plus, look what happened to this guy

What do you guys think?

If you notice that guy was cought because he UPLOADED the game, downloading something is 100X more unlikely to get you cought, and usually all you get is a slap on the wrist from your ISP.

Srsly tho, they don't care about the downloaders so much as the uploaders.

epicelite said:
J.D said:
I've seen a lot of news reports lately involving piracy, in Oregon, California, Arizona, everywhere I go. It seems like ISPs are growing some balls, and have been a lot more strict. A lot more people are being caught pirating video games and music and such, and must pay $1,000,000+ or go to jail, or have their parents have penalties. I know that I'm definitely not going to pirate stuff anymore unless it's moral, not just downloadin' flux. Plus, look what happened to this guy

What do you guys think?

If you notice that guy was cought because he UPLOADED the game, downloading something is 100X more unlikely to get you cought, and usually all you get is a slap on the wrist from your ISP.

Srsly tho, they don't care about the downloaders so much as the uploaders.

Well I am referring to "someone" that found Avatar uploaded and watched the full length movie without downloading anything. "loading" would be the main gist of it......theoretically speaking of course.

Yes, you *CAN* get in trouble for obtaining illegal property.

But.

The focus right now is on those who make the material available. The reason for this is because if a concentrated effort was made to track and catch downloaders, some loss of liberty would result, not to mention it would increase caseload by only a BILLION TIMES.

There simply is no real good way to monitor what a user is downloading without monitoring EVERYTHING a user downloads - and that raises certain legal questions.

Usually, when a downloader is caught, either A) They were incredibly dumb, or B) They were turned in by someone.

What robm said. Usually uploaders, ripping groups, and distribution sites are the things companies go after. IIRC with copyright law they actually have to sue you for there to be any penalty, but I'm not sure on that. Lastly, usually it's music, sometimes movies, but rarely videogames that get pirated.

Pirating will continue to grow to even greater extents then it is now. The more complex that the things become to pirate, the more people are going to want to do it. Thats what the government doesn't understand, that theres nothing they can do about the pirating of movies, and music, games, software etc. ISP's now just throttle the users connection when they are downloading too much stuff. It's becoming flaxty, but thats what it is. Get your own server and get an overseas sat provider, and your guaranteed, depending on what country to be solid. :)

Also, there nabbing the ISO pirates, not the downloaders.

Canada is awesome thought, so long as your not selling it, you dont get caught for crap (that includes weed and drugs)

Piracy will continue till quantum encryption is practical. Because the very act of measuring the state of a quantum bit changes it, with proper use, it could be literally impossible to crack.

We have a long, long time till that happens, though. ;)

Piracy came before the Internet.
Pirates will just have to resort to other methods if anything can stop them.

Of course, nothing can stop pirates. They can figure out anything.

There are pirates in the future.
space_pirate.jpg

is that an elite space pirate?
I pirate games all the time and trust me, the only easy way to get caught it to upload something to rapidshare(they gave out info before to put a guy behind bars) or to use a torrent without some form of keeping your ip hidden. (peerblock works somewhat well)

LOL. If you use the Internet they can find you no matter how you try to hide yourself. And ISPs have been issuing a lot more "Cease and Desist" letters to Movie/Music/Game downloaders lately.

Times they are a changin.

well, they can try to find you. most folks use an ip scrambler, so they cant be tracked that way, but then the trackers just run thier MAC address through thier system. then they have a name and address to check out. they then have you. so, if you go through the trouble to make a mac address scrambler, you are pretty much safe, but they can still find you, if they get really serious.

piracy has always been around. Remember those twin cassette decks for stereos? People were always duplicating their cassettes for their friends and such. With some stereos you could play a record and have it recorded on tape. Then there was the twin deck vcr. Same story.

I'm just saying that piracy is always going to be here. The methods just change with the times.

Back