Obtaining Free Samples- Need Advice

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Okay, I want to obtain some free samples from TI. I have some questions though. Mainly about what you should lie about, what you shouldn't lie about, and what doesn't really matter.

Obviously you have to create an account. There are a bunch of fields that I'm not sure how to answer...
-first off, before you create your account you need to put your country in, I think I should use the right one here
-is your email used for anything? do you have to be careful with this (ie containing names, using hotmail, etc)
-should you use your real name, or something made up
-how well must you lie about the corporate information? Will something like "Fart Co" pass or must you use something better?
-I don't have an office. I don't really want phone calls from TI either. Is it okay to make up a fake phone number?
-The mailing address should obviously be real, however won't they realize that it is a house and not a business?
Lastly, do they even send samples to Canada or is this completely pointless?

They sent it to my house no problem. I also didn't receive any phone calls or emails besides the 1 email confirming my sample order. I used my real name and just added " 's Portables" for my company name. :awesome:

XCVG, instead of going through all this BS, I could send you one or two of my PTH08080s for free. But then you'd have to pay shipping. Probably wouldn't be much to ship as they gould fit in an envelope, but if you want them let me know.

snowpenguin said:
XCVG, instead of going through all this BS, I could send you one or two of my PTH08080s for free. But then you'd have to pay shipping. Probably wouldn't be much to ship as they gould fit in an envelope, but if you want them let me know.

That's a nice offer, but how am I supposed to pay shipping? I don't have paypal...

Still have two questions:

1. Should you use your real name?
2. Should you use your real phone number?

I used my cell number just in case they called about anything. I registered half a year ago, and my "company" was, and I quote, "t3h b3nh3ck 4-umz!" :p

Basement_Modder said:
I used my cell number just in case they called about anything.
Did they call you?

Basement_Modder said:
I registered half a year ago, and my "company" was, and I quote, "t3h b3nh3ck 4-umz!" :p
And I was afraid they would reject "XCVG Systems".

Short and simple: Don't Lie, period.

There's no bloody need.
The majority of companies who do this do NOT screen sample requests.

I'm mostly worried about getting a call from TI. That would be extremely embarassing. And I'd never be able to get any more anything from them ever again. They probably wouldn't even send me a flyer if they found out that "XCVG Systems" is a fake company run by a 14 year old.

They called me once. Asked me questions about my system application, told them the truth, and the guy laughed and said "No sweat, always good to build customer relations in advance".

They know they are getting ripped, but they also know that some people will actually use their products someday, and the payoff is worth it.

PalmerTech said:
They called me once. Asked me questions about my system application, told them the truth, and the guy laughed and said "No sweat, always good to build customer relations in advance".

They know they are getting ripped, but they also know that some people will actually use their products someday, and the payoff is worth it.

Hah, I LOL'ed at that. Nice, I think I'm going to go for it. One last question though: Is it better to order as few or as many samples as possible?

When I meant limit, I mean as in "they have a breaking limit". Back in the day, we used a certain model regulator, and probably because of mass abuse of the system, they stopped allowing samples of it. You also used to be able to order more than one of each model, so they have somewhat fixed that issue.

PalmerTech said:
When I meant limit, I mean as in "they have a breaking limit". Back in the day, we used a certain model regulator, and probably because of mass abuse of the system, they stopped allowing samples of it. You also used to be able to order more than one of each model, so they have somewhat fixed that issue.
With this in mind, don't abuse free samples is all I can say.

Back