NES Bartop Arcade

Nice cabinet, Instructable is pretty boring. I see you did a lot of mods to the NES, but why not lockout switch or fake stereo? I do like the artwork though, it's very nice. I would have used Japanese controls but I understand that some like American ones better.

XCVG said:
Nice cabinet, Instructable is pretty boring. I see you did a lot of mods to the NES, but why not lockout switch or fake stereo? I do like the artwork though, it's very nice. I would have used Japanese controls but I understand that some like American ones better.

Yea, I was worried it might seem boring. I can still edit it as much as I want so I can go through and spice it up a bit. What would the point be of a lockout switch? It doesn't serve any useful purpose when enabled.

I was going to do a stereo mod, but honestly I ran out of time. I can always add it later though. As for the controls, I just used what I already had. I really don't know the difference between American and Japanese anyway.

I THINK there are a few games that need the lockout chip enabled to run. I might be thinking of the SNES, though.

American controls are generally larger, less sensitive, the buttons have concave tops and the joysticks have battops. Japanese controls are generally smaller, more sensitive, the buttons have convex tops and the joysticks have balltops.

Yeah, I think you are thinking about the SNES. I know my NES stuff pretty good, and I've never heard of a game needing to check for the lockout.

If I made another one I would definitely look into the Japanese components. The joystick does have a little more throw than I would prefer.

Back