Mysterious transmitter planted in a laptop

Bibin

Frequent Poster
So, I found this thing inside my friend's PowerBook G4, underneath the keyboard. Definitely not an apple part, nor part of a stock installation (five other identical laptops lack it of course) It was wrapped in scotch tape, tucked underneath some shielding. It had a battery, I removed it.

What the Heck is it and what would it do?

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

I can identify an antenna on the underside, a cap near the top probably to stabilize power and RF output, but what else?

Its the Government spying on you obviously.

Also Bo, your posts were only 2 minutes apart , was a second one really necessary? :neutral2:

Are there any markings on the ICs? I can't read them due to the dust. Maybe we can pull up datasheets on them.

Too much of a risk, the + might not be touching the + on the pcb and everything will go BOOM!

zeturi said:
I thought it mighta been a GPS mod. Some folks do it to their laptops from time to time.
that looks much to simple to be a GPS reciever. it looks like some kind of RF link. is there anything in the software that recognizes it?

I don't see any way that it connects to a computer or anything else other than some form of wireless.

I'd trust jlee on that PIC idea.

Was it connected to anything? If so, probably a keylogger sort of thing. If not, I have no idea.

Of course, it could have just been shoved under there as a joke; some sort of prank or scare.

Back