MGB LCD adhesive removal.

Poseidon

hi, friends. it's been a while.
so, i'm giving myself one last stab at backlighting my mgb. if i *Can'tSayThisOnTV* this one up, there will be no more attempts. that said, i *believe* that i successfully removed the polarized film, etc. now i'm just dealing with leftover adhesive on the lcd. currently i've left a section of paper towel betwixt (lols) the ribbon cable and sticky lcd. it's drenched in enough goo-gone to drown a small elephant, but i'm curious as to whether or not there's a better, quicker way to get the job done. i don't have regular rubbing alcohol, and i'd prefer not to wait until i have the chance to get some. i've checked the progress a few times, and it doesn't seem to be doing much. it's probably been soaking for somewhere between 6-10 minutes.

is this going to work just fine, and am i just being impatient? (probably.) or is there a better way to do this (aside from just plain rubbing alcohol, which, as i said, i don't have.)

thanks, dudes. appreciate you. :>

Jesus, nobody?

Anyway, I'm not sure Goo-Gone is going to do it. I'd give proper isopropyl alcohol a shot.

Otherwise, a fun trick I never tried is to get some scotch tape, and stick it to the adhesive, then peel off the tape - this is how I remove laptop stickers, taking advantage of the fact that the adhesive more readily sticks to the tape than the surface. I've never tried it, so be careful.

I've gotten it off by just vigorously rubbing it with something grippy (like my finger) with a little bit of alcohol. It's a real pain in the ass, but it should go eventually.

Thanks for the response, Bibin! I was able to get most of it off, but it was REALLY stubborn. There's a pretty nasty patch of adhesive still on the lcd where the ribbon cables get too restrictive, (on the lower right-hand side) but I called it good and slapped it back together.

finished product:
extremegreen.png

You can't really tell there's any leftover adhesive in that picture. I'm pretty happy with the outcome anyway! After like 4 failed attempts in a row, it's a small triumph.

Back