L4D2 don't work :(

ToastBucket

tost
So a few days ago I bought the L4D pack that came with L4D and L4D2. I'd never played the games before, but heard they were good so went and bought em off Steam. When I first ran L4D, I had a weird problem. As soon as the game would start, I'd get a black screen and text on my monitor saying something along the lines of "Analog Input 01: Unsupported Resolution". I had to force a reboot because I couldn't quit the game or anything, despite me still hearing the game sounds. Once I booted up again it ran fine and has ever since. Last night I finally tried L4D2. I had the same problem as with L4D, but this one persists. I've rebooted multiple times, reinstalled the game, tried changing the launch resolution in the custom launch thing, but nothing works. Anyone know what's up?

BTW, my monitor is 1280x1024. I don't remember the exact model number, but I know it's one of these: E193FP, E196FP, E197FP

and looks like this:

dell19lcdspots1.jpg

What videocard are you using? Are your drivers up to date and properly configured?

Try the -safe launch option. Sounds like it forces the game to run at 640x480@60.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -JMTZ-0860

We've got a pile of those Dell monitors at work, and in my experience they develop dark spots like that if someone repeatedly pressed on the LCD, dropped it, or otherwise put it through some abuse.

Also VGA sucks. Use DVI and you'll get a sharper picture at 1280x1024 on up.

J.D said:
And yeah, I don't know if using VGA is the problem or not, but I'd go with DVI anyway.

Nope. It won't change what resolutions the monitor supports, and the dark spots are physical damage.

Bibin said:
Use DVI if you can.
BIBIN YOU'RE BACK :D

And yeah, I don't know if using VGA is the problem or not, but I'd go with DVI anyway.

I have an EVGA eGeforce 8800GTS or something. Running through a DVI-VGA converter because I didn't want to snap the 4 extra pins off my DVI cable or buy a new one without the pins. And I don't have those spots on the monitor, that's just some image I found on Google. I'll give the safe mode thing a go.

EDIT: Well I seem to have it going now. Just played it for a while with my friend. I guess I just have to start it in safe mode every time then change the resolution. Not that big a deal. Thanks for all the help guise. Love ya :p

Back