Joytech 8' PS2 slim screen

Couple questions, I have an old joytech screen for my slim. Haven't used it for years since I don't go on roadtrips and game on it when I have a laptop in which I can do my programming on.

1. what system could I mod to optimize the use of this screen? (NES, N64, and PS1 are at my fingertips)
2. Is led mod possible for this size of screen?

First time modder and I wish to immerse myself into the world of solder.

heres the unit unopened, tested and all functions work. has a protective sheet of plastic to prevent scratches getting on the real screen.
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... CN4148.jpg
opened
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... CN4157.jpg
(Power in middle left, av multi adapter in middle down, regular av and power out to the console top left)

the whole unit requires 8.5V DC in order to function. has two speakers, two headphone jacks, and a nice semi compact board compared to the ps1 screen. Only problem is that the manufacturer put glue on the connectors to keep them from losing contact. Its like super glue shall i say, when you dont want to damage it by pulling to hard.

What ya think? ill start a real project thread soon so i have a place to put my work logs and all that when i work on the unit i want to produce

Personally, I would only use it if making a laptop. 8" is pretty big for a handheld portable. Plus the controller board is huge and probably can't be trimmed much. You'll probably be better off buying a smaller screen and saving this for later.

vskid3 said:
Personally, I would only use it if making a laptop. 8" is pretty big for a handheld portable. Plus the controller board is huge and probably can't be trimmed much. You'll probably be better off buying a smaller screen and saving this for later.

Second-ed. Laptops can be pretty legit too if you use/make a nice case.

Depends on what you are comfortable with. optimally, you'd want a later generation console to take advantage on the screen size, but an N64 or PS1 would work well.

However- take into account what system has the most games you like to play- and go from there. If you build a portable Magnavox, but you don't play any games on it, what's the point?

Personally, I'd do the N64. It's got an easy to work with board, and cartridges are easy to work with when compared to CDs. With CDs you need to map out a door, eject button, hinge point, etc (all of which you can steal off the case)

DefectX11 said:
Depends on what you are comfortable with. optimally, you'd want a later generation console to take advantage on the screen size, but an N64 or PS1 would work well.

However- take into account what system has the most games you like to play- and go from there. If you build a portable Magnavox, but you don't play any games on it, what's the point?

Personally, I'd do the N64. It's got an easy to work with board, and cartridges are easy to work with when compared to CDs. With CDs you need to map out a door, eject button, hinge point, etc (all of which you can steal off the case)

Any tips on how to open the case of an n64? i dont have the required screwdriver currently.

Melt the tip of a bic pen, jam it in the hole and make your own screwdriver. It takes a bit of technique, but it works well.

If you are in the states I'll give you 25 bucks plus shipping for that thing, if you haven't modded it yet. Was just looking for one on the Web and stumbled across this forum

MattInTheCouv said:
If you are in the states I'll give you 25 bucks plus shipping for that thing, if you haven't modded it yet. Was just looking for one on the Web and stumbled across this forum

If he was selling it, it would be in the junkyard.

MattInTheCouv said:

Sorry man, i would with my other N64. But its my older brother's and he would kick my ass if he found out i sold some of his stuff. Just go to a local pawn shop. They should sell some for around 20. Or look at yard sales, i got mine for $5 at one with 4 other games.

WhatSoulz?? said:
opened
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... CN4157.jpg
(Power in middle left, av multi adapter in middle down, regular av and power out to the console top left)
I have the same screen. Can you please tell me how you got it opened? I can't seem to find the screw locations when trying to take it apart.

There's a problem with the left stereo channel audio for both the external speaker and the headphone jacks. Anybody have any ideas?

Back