Is it possible?

ColtHardic

OK so I had an old NDSi laying around that did not have a working top screen and I did not feel like getting a new screen so I took the bottom touch screen out and I realized that the touch screen also has a backlight. So I got the backlight out of the touch screen without scratching the light or anything. Is it possible to rig it up so that it can like frontlight my GBA?

Here are some pics of the backlight.

http://img441.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=0000382.jpg

You might be able to use just the lights, but you won't be able to use that diffuser. It's going to distort anything behind it. You'd need to find something clear, like what's in the SPs to use.

Well my GBA is kinda missing that metal part behind the screen already. So I figured if I just put a light behind it or something it might light up the screen.

It honestly can't hurt to just try, but if it's not lighting well, try and find some kind of clear plastic to experiment with.

What kind of voltage does it need? Do you still have enough of the DSi that you can turn it on and find out how much power it gave the strip?

No I don't have anything left of the DSi. This is the only thing that I kept. Every other part I sold to a friend of mine who needed a couple replacement pieces. I never even though of this idea til this morning and now my friend is back in Florida.

The frontlight will look like crap if you aren't using a SP diffuser. The SP's has tiny precise ridges cut in it to carry the light across. You won't have that same effect.

Ishmael1010 said:
The frontlight will look like crap if you aren't using a SP diffuser. The SP's has tiny precise ridges cut in it to carry the light across. You won't have that same effect.

The backlight for the DSi Touch screen also has those little ridges.

Back