Interest in an OpenPandora-like device?

DefectX11

I'm looking into making an emulator portable, but working off the flaws of the previous ones. Ever since the release of the OpenPandora, I'm wanted to make something of the same. With Raspberry Pi out, it's just too good of an opportunity to let pass.

What I have in my mind-
-EITHER a Raspberry Pi board, or a PandaBoard (for a higher end model, PandaBoard has a Cortex A9 dual core 1.2GHz)
-6.2" 800x480 screen, antiglare
-built in controls (analog stick(s), dpad, buttons etc)
-bluetooth and wifi (for the PandaBoard model only)
-Running linux off SD (or Micro SD)
-long battery life
-carbon fibre case

Yes, some of it may be a bit "out there", but I think it would be interesting to try. Yes, I'm going to have a Heck of a time with the drivers for the built in controls, and yes, it would look killer with a carbon fibre case.
I'm for sure making one for myself, but I'm just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying them.

Positive or negative input is OK with me.

What screen are you going to use?

I would look into the JXD S7100.

JXD-S7100.jpg

The biggest issue I see here is (from what I know) the Raspberry Pi's SoC. As it isn't powerful (from the CPU side of things), while the GPU is pretty much exclusively designed for h.264 decoding (which it does like a champ). I'd go with the Pandaboard/Beagleboard Xm versus the Raspberry Pi for an emulator type device, while for a PMP the Raspberry Pi has huge potential considering its power usage and size.

Now you have another issue here, the Pandaboard/Beagleboard do not output composite, yet the Raspberry Pi lacks the speed to emulate much. If you can find a 6.2" HDMI screen, you're gold (Palmer may know how to do this), but until then, there's not much you can do in terms of a screen. I've looked into making something like this quite a bit, and would've if I could just find a screen that would work.

PalmerTech said:
I have multiple 5.6" screens with HDMI, 1280x800. Just throwing it out there.

By "just throwing it out there" are you looking to sell?

As I recall, either PandaBoard or beagleBoard XM had S Video.
Oh and the PandaBoard has VGA- the screen I had in mind has VGA input--
-(http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-TFT-TIANMA- ... 133wt_1275)

I have never seen such a thing, I'll have to take an in depth look at that JXD device. Still having one prebuilt is no fun.
Also for the JXD- aren't those the same buttons from the PSP Go?

The prebuilt one is going to be cheaper and better, though. :p You could always make a sweet carbon fiber case for it, add better buttons and a stronger battery.

I can sell some of the screens, they would be about $200. Expensive, but that is exactly what they cost.

Can you still source them? How's the quality? CCFL or LED? ETC.

I get them through my work, we use them for virtual reality headmounts. LED backlit, super thin, board is smaller than panel, runs off 5v to 12v. Can get with either VGA only, or VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component.

The screen I had in mind? Yes.
LED backlit. I've bought from the company. Shipping takes a heck of a time, but whatever you end up buying is as described or better.

Oh and Palmer- I would put a stronger battery. In fact I'm looking to put a really strong battery due to my long commutes. Plus- a carbon fibre case is going to hold up much longer than a plastic one. So I'll hold off on the screens- that's 2/3rds my PayPal balance, and I don't need that resolution. It would be nice, though... :rolleyes:

--Almost missed your recent post Palmer, you lucky "_______". I'd find that super useful because the screen I'm getting runs off 12v, while the PandaBoard is 5V. AND, the controller is a bit big. I may invest in one of those later, for a super high end portable.

DefectX11 said:
a carbon fibre case is going to hold up much longer than a plastic one

Probably not. Carbon fiber is really stiff and lightweight, but it is generally not as durable as plastic. That is why nobody makes carbon fiber boats, other then the super high performance ones that shatter at the first impact. :p

These screens are going into a WVI I am working on, they are great. If you get the money, nothing else is better.

Now that is something I would love to try out. A WVI Will be in the near future.

By "durable" do you mean plastic will stand up to more beating (dropping etc)?
It may be so, being more pliable, but it will never look nearly as good as CF (too lazy to type it out). CF just has such a sexy finish, without any paints, primers or varnishes.

DefectX11 said:
Now that is something I would love to try out. A WVI Will be in the near future.

By "durable" do you mean plastic will stand up to more beating (dropping etc)?
It may be so, being more pliable, but it will never look nearly as good as CF (too lazy to type it out). CF just has such a sexy finish, without any paints, primers or varnishes.
Carbon fiber is for things that have to be as light weight as possible. Flex it or drop it and it'll most likely break. I'd suggest making a good solid case and then covering the outside with carbon fiber.

bud said:
Carbon fiber is for things that have to be as light weight as possible. Flex it or drop it and it'll most likely break. I'd suggest making a good solid case and then covering the outside with carbon fiber.

I'll look into that.

That is not a bad idea. I have worked with carbon fiber before, it is a real Sega to get looking nice. :p You could also consider just making the front and back out of CF using something else for the sidewalls, flat sheets are a lot easier to tidy up.

However bad it's going to be, I'll stick with a CF look throughout. I'm not about to let myself create something that doesn't match what I've got on paper (and in my head). I'll see what I can do for reinforcing the walls, and if it comes to it, I'll just be very careful with it.

PalmerTech said:
DefectX11 said:
a carbon fibre case is going to hold up much longer than a plastic one

Probably not. Carbon fiber is really stiff and lightweight, but it is generally not as durable as plastic. That is why nobody makes carbon fiber boats, other then the super high performance ones that shatter at the first impact. :p

These screens are going into a WVI I am working on, they are great. If you get the money, nothing else is better.

How exactly would you define "durable?" Carbon fiber has both a high compressive strength and tensile strength. Carbon fiber sparsely intercalated with a polymer would look pretty sick, and provide a similar expected impact failure mode to plastic. :cool:

Back