I'll make you a benchtop PSU.

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
It's useful to have a source of different voltages for testing different things. I've made a benchtop power supply out of a computer PSU, and I have three of the same PSU's left over.

I don't have any more banana jacks, but I can buy some more if anybody is interested in one of these. Here's the PSU specs:

100W PSU
+5v, 10A
+12v, 2A
-12v, 300mA
+3.3v, 6A
+5VSB, 800mA (This line is always on, even when the PSU is not)
Dimensions LxWxH - 5x4x2.5" (Not including fan on top)
Auto shut-off with short between any voltage line and ground, or between any of the voltage lines.

I'll attach five banana jacks: one for the +3.3v, +5v, +12, and -12v lines, and one for ground. I'll include a toggle switch in the back to turn it on and off.

I don't mind making these for cheap, I don't need these PSU's. The cost will be shipping + the cost of parts + $5. The only parts I need are the banana jacks and a 10ohm resistor. There are binding posts on eBay for $1.50 plus $4 for shipping. For one PSU, it'd be $8.50. The power resistor is $2 at RadioShack.

So, for one PSU it'd be $16 plus shipping, I suppose. Any takers?

Here's some pictures of the one I built a couple years ago:
ja9k0n.jpg

2h3onbk.jpg

(In this one, the switch on the left is the power switch and the other is to turn the fan on and off. I won't be adding a fan switch, just a power switch. But you can ask for a different color of LED. ;) )
zl9ljl.jpg

zydjer.jpg

Maybe interested.
So you can't use the 12v and 5v lines to make 7v or it'll shut off?

No, you can, but if there's a short (i.e., too much current running through it) it will shut off. I'm guessing if the 12v line can handle 2A, then you should be able to draw up to that much from between the 12v and 5v lines.

Back