I want to buy a kickass HD projector

Tchay

Frequent Poster
So I am slowly decking out my living room. Carpet cleaned, check. Walmart beanbags, check. Now for the HD projector. It will MAINLY be used for playing xbox 360 and PS3 games. We will also want to watch movies.

After looking around, this seems to be the best HD projector for a low price.
ViewSonic PJD6210 XGA DLP Projector

Any suggestions, ladies?

Be a boss, DIY.

In my odd world, that's honestly the only way to get a good projector for cheap, but then again, I don't pay attention to the real world much, so you could have a better option there.

I seem to remember hailrazer actually knowing a bit about projectors, though...

Yeah, Hail was a big member on a DIY projector forum, was one of the first people to make a 1080p projector or something like that.

DIY projectors used to have very real advantages, but now the only reason to do it is for geek cred. The price of projectors has dropped dramatically, and you'll get something much smaller and probably better.

My school actually got smart boards and projectors, I know they are pretty high res. I can steal you one, and you'd have to pay $100 plus shipping. ::3:

But like XCVG said, they are cheaper, so if you want one, just buy one. Depending on what you have, it could cost you more to make one that's pretty high res.

Having a parent that works as a teacher, I can not condone stealing projectors, or anything, from schools. Teachers get paid little enough already, they don't need that flax cutting into their pay too.

Yeah, don't steal. Most schools keep old projectors, computers, and the like in a big closet, at least the ones I've been to have. If you've got the gall, go to the local school districts (they keep track of everything in the schools) and see if they have any they're looking to get rid of. Most of the time they end up auctioning off the old technology to business and stuff. If you find someone in a good mood, you should be able to snag one on the cheap.

budnespid said:
Yeah, don't steal. Most schools keep old projectors, computers, and the like in a big closet, at least the ones I've been to have. If you've got the gall, go to the local school districts (they keep track of everything in the schools) and see if they have any they're looking to get rid of. Most of the time they end up auctioning off the old technology to business and stuff. If you find someone in a good mood, you should be able to snag one on the cheap.

Damnit, Bud, I'm going to try that one now... :(

Good idea. Seriously, just asking around at some offices or schools, you could find some really neat flax. Always worth a try to ask. ALWAYS.

Yeah, I've been tight with the local technology teachers for years now. I get free stuff all the time. It's great :)

Most school districts will auction them off, but a few (like mine) actually gives some to Africa. They need flax too.

Okay. Thats all well and good. But where are my true techies at? I was hoping to hear some people jump in with some great brands or projector types.

Oh wait. Thats just palmer....

InFocus makes good projectors.

Be warned though. "HD" projectors that can do full 1080p are still a bit expensive. A lot of the reasonably priced projectors out there are set up for PC resolutions, and the prices on just about anything that does 16:9 are higher because
emot-pcgaming.gif
IT'S HD!
emot-pcgaming.gif
Letterboxed 720p is alright, but most good 1080p projectors are much more expensive than they are.

Plus they only last a few hundred hours before the bulb dies and you're out a couple hundred more for a replacement assembly.

Personally I'd go for an LCD flatscreen with a full LED backlight, but if you insist on a projector get a DLP one. The weird color beating you see when you wave your hand in the light beam is worth it because you won't have to look through a screen window at exaggerated LCD subpixels.

The one I mentioned in my first post was DLP. So I guess thats a keeper for now. Got good reviews.

I did a quick lookup of flat screen LCDs and they are WAY more expensive than HD projectors it seems. :/

The projector in the OP downconverts 1080p and 720p to fit its 1024x768 imaging array. It's not true HD and will look blurry.

http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/057/13686.pdf

You're also going to want some real screen material, be it an actual roll-up screen or some screen paint. Either way, the kind with glass beads on the surface will make a brighter picture than just a wall painted with semigloss latex.

As with all things electronic, buy the best you can afford.

The one you are looking at is XGA and won't look terrific.

How much do you want to spend?

I know a fair bit about commercial projectors. :awesome:

You will not get a decent HD projector for $500, though, much less "kickass". :cry4: If you are willing to spend a little more, look into the Viewsonic 6531w, it is what I use. The bulb lasts a long time (4000 hours in normal mode, 6000 in eco mode), and is really bright for the price range, while retaining good contrast ratio. I have seen em for under $600 on eBay before!

Back