I had a crazy idea.

themadhacker

Crazy Train
As some of you know, cassettes and 8 track carts are both read magnetically.

I have recently been experimenting with the two formats by feeding some 8 track ribbon over a cassette player's head and found that it can read the 8 track. I have done this the opposite too, by running cassette ribbon over an 8 track player's head.

So then I had a crazy idea. Everybody knows about those adapters for car cassette players that have a jack to plug into ipods and such. Do any of you think that it would work for an 8 track player too? It would be a pretty useless idea for most, but since my car has an 8 track player, it would just be something pretty cool to make.

Actually, I think I have seen something like this before somewhere on some TV show. I think it was pimp my ride (flaxty show).

any thoughts, advice, or comments?

I think you're going off the rails of the crazy train. ;)

No, really, I think it's entirely possible. Just get an old 8-track and put the guts of the ipod-to-cassette thing inside it. Not hard at all, just make sure you get the positioning right.

EDIT: Heh. 11111th post in F47.

If you don't want to preserve the 8-track player, you could open it up and replace the wires going from the head to the board with an audio plug.

@grossaffe

Ever since I repaired my 8 tracks, I have been listening to them a lot, so I will definately want to keep my stereo and car players fully functional.

ya know what? I think the dollar general next to my house carries those cassette things. I'm going to get out one of my spare 8 track cases and test it out.

oh, and maybe with my Christmas money, I'll buy a cheapie mp3 player and stick it in an 8 track shell and wow my friends with an 8 track that holds 1000 songs. I'll call it......the MP8!

I have a cassette stereo from a 1993 Toyota Camry you can have for free. ::3:

Or if you buy the wire thing I need you can have the old CD player from my brothers car, he has a better one I am supposed to install for him. The old one works but skips all the time when going over bumps and such.

::3:

Dang, the dollar general doesn't have them anymore. Well, it seems I'll have yo wait until I find a store that carries them. It shouldn't be too hard, though.

@ epicelite

what wire thing you need?

I'll take the cassette player, but what does that have to do with 8 tracks?

What no, I mean you can take the cassett player or CD player and put it in your car. ::3:

I can send you the casset one tho and if you want do whatever with it. :p Came out of my Dads car.
I am not even sure if you could make it work in another car, but IDK.

Let me go find it. ::3:

Make a sweetass iPod dock by bondoing one on the 8 track case so when you put it in the player, the dock part sticks out in front of your stereo, and looks epic.

Basement_Modder said:
Make a sweetass iPod dock by bondoing one on the 8 track case so when you put it in the player, the dock part sticks out in front of your stereo, and looks epic.

ah, now i remember. that's exactly what they did on pimp my ride.

a girl had a crappy 1970's pacer and it had an 8 track player. as a joke, they left it in and made an ipod dock 8 track cartridge.

Ok found the ol' casset player! ::3:

All yours if you want it, I think it was designed to only work with a Toyota Camry tho but you can always take it apart to mod I suppose.

themadhacker said:
Basement_Modder said:

ah, now i remember. that's exactly what they did on pimp my ride.

a girl had a crappy 1970's pacer and it had an 8 track player. as a joke, they left it in and made an ipod dock 8 track cartridge.
Well, I suppose great minds think alike! (If by "great minds" you mean a 15 year old kid with a knack for gadgets and some 35-year-old ex-rapper tv-show-host who thinks he's a halfway mix of Soulja Boy and Eddie Murphy.)

If I had some 8-tracks I would totally try this. Sadly my dad has records and CDs, but no 8-tracks and very few tapes. And my collection is 100% digital.

if you want an 8 track player, you should look on ebay for a broken one that includes some carts. They are cheap as Heck, and are very easy to fix so you don't get two tracks playing at one time.

I went to the goodwill today and bought a junk walkman to test this out with.

I removed the head, soldered it to a headphone jack, hooked my ipod to it, put it against the 8 track's head, and it worked. Sounded beautiful. I think taht I may be the first person on Earth to listen to Korn on an 8 track player.

Back