How to overclock a gameboy!

nobble

First thing's first: What is needed

-Tri-wing screwdriver
-Small Phillips screwdriver
-A faster clock crystal (2x the amount of the original)
-A clock crystal of the same amount
(much easier than taking out the old one on gameboys newer than the DMG)
-Thin gauge wire (I used ribbon cables)
-A SPDT switch (picture says three way when it was supposed to be SPDT)
-And of course soldering tools

LETS GET STARTED!

Step 1: Unscrew the back of your gameboy.

Step 2: Unscrew the mother board.

Step 3:
Find and remove the clock crystal (if you can). I just broke the thing in two pieces and cut the traces.

IMG00282-20100309-1535.jpg

Step 4: Add new crystals and wire things up. You need an 8 mhz crystal to overclock a dmg/mgb and a 16 mhz crystal for gbc's. Here's how to wire things up.

IMG00291-20100309-1854.jpg

Now you need to attach everything to the mother board. Try to find two solderpads that say CK1 and CK2 and solder the leads to everything on those.

IMG00293-20100309-1942.jpg

Step 5: Cut a hole in the case for the switch and put everything in its place.

IMG00295-20100309-1945.jpg

THERE YOU GO! How to overclock a gameboy in 5 easy steps! Now you can place at normal speed or double the speed.

ENJOY!

OMFGCAPS said:
MINNESOTA #1

33748543_9516a232a3.jpg

Looks great, nobble. Really easy to follow, even I understood exactly what you were talking about. I EVEN UNDERSTOOD THE DIAGRAM +.05 to self

Looks like we may have MORE overclocked/backlit crap popping up now. :lol:

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but this method might be easier. This is how I triple clocked my GBP.

doubleclock.jpg

Honestly, I didn't know other methods were possible. :p

Awsome! This should definately be added to the sticky. Also, where could I find a 4Mz crystal and a 8Mz crystal for a DMG?

Ebay has them. Just search "oscillator crystal" and type in how many mhz you need. There should be a lot of results.

Jewjo said:
I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but this method might be easier. This is how I triple clocked my GBP.

doubleclock.jpg

Honestly, I didn't know other methods were possible. :p
This is exactly what I did.
I did the double first tho..
2.097152 is the exact speed you need to half clock a DMG or pocket.
CGB is double(8.388608), so you need a regular DMG clock(4.194304)to half speed it.
Also I highly suggest buying here: http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Component ... _/N-6zu9f/
I did the triple in a DMG and just used a crystal from a CGB and bought the 2.097 from mouser.

Really decent tut tho!

Actually you can change it while playing. But less than half the time it does crash. If you pause your game or whatever then you'll be fine.
I've never had a paused game/song crash on me.

Back