How Do I Replace A Game Boy Color Switch?

I have an older GBC with an otherwise perfectly functional PCB. The power switch (internally, not just the plastic for the outside) is broken off completely though so the only way I can turn the thing on and off is either:
A: Open the shell and use a flathead screwdriver to move what's left of the internal switch.

B: Just leave it in the ON position and put in/take out batteries to turn it on and off.

Is there any way I could desolder the switchbox and replace it with a generic switch? I have a DPDT switch I bought from RadioShack lying around that I could use; I just want to know what I'd have to solder to get the job done.

What I would do it use your screwdriver method to get the switch stuck in the ON position and then fill it with glue so it wont move.
Then, Take another little power switch and find a fairly empty spot on the power switch side of the case and make a hole for the switch.
Then just wire this new switch to control the flow of the batteries. Find where one of the contacts mounts to the board and use some thin wire to put a switch between the contact and board.

There is probably another way to replace the original switch itself, but this one doesn't require desoldering anything which could make the process easier.

cmanciecko said:
What I would do it use your screwdriver method to get the switch stuck in the ON position and then fill it with glue so it wont move.
Then, Take another little power switch and find a fairly empty spot on the power switch side of the case and make a hole for the switch.
Then just wire this new switch to control the flow of the batteries. Find where one of the contacts mounts to the board and use some thin wire to put a switch between the contact and board.

There is probably another way to replace the original switch itself, but this one doesn't require desoldering anything which could make the process easier.
It's already stuck in the on position now so there's really only the new switch thing to worry about.

Finding where I'd solder the wires to is the main concern.
I get that the battery contacts supply power to the board but I don't know what pads I'd solder to to interrupt that flow.

Finding where I'd solder the wires to is the main concern.
I get that the battery contacts supply power to the board but I don't know what pads I'd solder to to interrupt that flow.

You could easily clip where either the positive or negative contacts are on the board and put the switch there. If you take it apart and post pictures, I can tell you where specifically.

Okay, here's an IMGUR link to what the front and back of a Game Boy Color PCB look like. Clicking "second image" at the top of the page will show the back of the Game Boy Color PCB. It's a super high-res image so that should help, I guess. The "front" image is technically from a Game Boy Light but they have identical layouts.
http://imgur.com/6LheWdf,c6OBNJI#0

I didn't use my own camera because I didn't want to risk blurry images making things difficult when there's already super-high-res images of Game Boy PCBs everywhere.

So, where would I solder the switch to make it control the battery power?

The best way that I see to flip the power on and off isn't in the picture. On the contact that connects the 2 batteries (http://i.imgur.com/JrROIoX.jpg) there's a piece of metal in the middle. if you clip that you could solder directly to the backs of the contacts and possibly mount the switch on the side of the battery holder. There SHOULD be space under them to run the wires through the case.

If you decide to do this, the wiring should be like this:

Motherboard Contact - Battery 1 - Connector - Soldered wire - Switch - Soldered wire - Connector - Battery 2 - Motherboard contact

I believe that there is room in the case for you to do this.

Back