How do I Improve a Weed Whacker's Muffler?

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
Or weed eater, or whipper snipper. The handheld spinny thing that cuts grass.

So I finished up a weed whacker-powered bicycle today (news thread tomarrow) and it is AWESOME. Problem is, I'll probably get a ticket or something because of how loud it is. Plus, it's inconsiderate to anyone trying to rest (when it's nighttime). Any idea on how to add something to the exhaust pipe that'll make it quieter?

Mario said:
Or weed eater, or whipper snipper. The handheld spinny thing that cuts grass.

So I finished up a weed whacker-powered bicycle today (news thread tomarrow) and it is AWESOME. Problem is, I'll probably get a ticket or something because of how loud it is. Plus, it's inconsiderate to anyone trying to rest (when it's nighttime). Any idea on how to add something to the exhaust pipe that'll make it quieter?

How big is your exhaust outlet? My dad works at a car dealer, so sadly, I know a ton about cars. :wtf:

Anyhow, here is a fairly small solution to implement on a bike, that is CHEAP!

http://www.amazon.com/Flowtech-50250FLT ... 696&sr=1-8

Here is one that is not nearly as sexy, but will sound a lot more muffled, not a straight compression muffler, it uses a looping system: http://www.amazon.com/Thrush-17715-Muff ... sbs_auto_5

Pics would always help.

Is the current one on there removeable?

If it is what is the diameter of the hole on the motor?

I welded up an open pipe exhaust for my go kart the other day to, but I live in BFE.

An easy way to make one would be get a piece of steel water pipe that fits the opening and from my experience threads in there yet again pics would help. Then get a larger pipe and put it over the smaller one. The smaller one drill holes spiralling from one side to the next. Cap one end, and put the other pipe over the smaller one and weld it. Put a reducer at the end of it and your done. Cool thing about doing it this way is that you can customize the way it sounds and runs. Maybe bend an exhaust out to the back and put a muffler at the end. Longer the muffler is quieter less holes quieter. Just make sure that there is good flow and everything will be fine, but this is just an idea. Pics would help.

News thread is up.

Here is a picture of the engine:

1qmlj8.jpg

You can see the muffler on the right under the felt cover. I can take the cover off, and the exhaust pipe is about 1/2 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. I can't weld, so is there a good way to do this?

I think you could attach it with JB Weld, any other glue would probably just melt or soften and fall off. As for mounting a muffler, choosing a muffler, and attaching a muffler, I have no idea. I'm 14, too young for cars or motorcycles and too nerdy to do anything nuts like you.

I'm not talking about replacing the muffler, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the tailpipe that'll make it quieter. I've heard putting some steel wool in there helps, any thoughts on this?

Mario said:
I'm not talking about replacing the muffler, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the tailpipe that'll make it quieter. I've heard putting some steel wool in there helps, any thoughts on this?
eh. steel wool might help, but it wouldnt be good for the engine, because it would block the airflow. it would be much better to replace the muffler, than to add a secondary one. of course, you could just erect a perfect sphere of h20 around it. it would block the noise pretty effectively. ;)

JB weld is your best bet if you can't weld for real. Just attach a small muffler to the end of the current tailpipe. Perhaps put a larger pipe segment over the joint and JB weld it on too, just for support.

Easy welder. Jump start box and a couple of welding rods. But I would suggest going to wally world, buying a muffler and jb-weld, and attach said muffler to tailpipe with jb-weld.

Back