How do I hookup a WiiKey and a DD simultaneously?

Blargaman91

I want to mod a GameCube to have both a WiiKey and a DVD drive installed, at the same time, with a switch to choose which one to use. I thought that cutting off ground and voltage from the WiiKey while supplying it for the DD would make the DD work, and vise versa. If I do cut off both voltage and ground to the WiiKey the DD will work, but not the other way around. Even if I disconnect ground and voltage to the DD, the WiiKey will stay on "reading disc..." for a while then give an error if the DD's connected at all. Is there some dataline on the DD I can toggle that will allow the WiiKey to work, or is it just impossible?

I was also thinking I might try to wire the DD through the WiiKey via the DVD connector side on the WiiKey, but that is definitely confirmed not working, right?

the problem is you cannot have the DVD and WKF connected to the drive port at the same time...this will cause a conflict of signals.

to further specify, 5v is always present on the DVD plug, so 5v is always provided to the DVD drive, which means the DVD drive will always have power. You cannot simply switch off power to the DVD drive unless you cut traces on the mainboard or drive board..
if you cut traces, then you will need a switch to control power for the DVD drive, but then you will also need a switch to control power for the WKF too...

the easiest way is to connect the drive to the WKF DVD side, manually wire 5v to the drive, and let the WKF control mode or use pin29 to activly force the mode you wish to use..
but to do this, you must remove the dvd drive plug from either the mainboard or the dvd drive board...
why? because if you do not remove the port, then you will run into signal conflict again as explained above...

Yeah, I had thought it would work with both connected at the dataline on the mainboard. I removed the component that acted as a pass through to get 5v to the DD and put a switch in between but the WiiKey still refused to function with the DD on there at all.

I don't know anything about Xeno modding but that Xeno Fusion you created is unique, correct? It does things with the WiiKey that a normal one wouldn't? It seems like something I want to look into.

xenofusion unique?
it sure is unique because i wrote the code to add the extra functionality and recompiled the xeno firmware to create the xenofusion...

the xeno fusion was my lazy way of mimicking a pin29 switch by controlling if the WKF is active or passthru based on if an SD card was present in the WKF slot...
this was before swiss autoboot...
also, this was before swiss was fixed up to properly patch all GC dvd drive versions as i had a version which did not patch properly, so i needed a xeno for backup discs...

now with swiss autoboot and with the proper drive patching, there is really no need for xenofusion anymore...

Ah, okay... thanks for the clarification.

The wiring is proving a little bit confusing, though. I see that on the DVD side of the WiiKey, the pins are reversed (1 on the left, 32 on the right). So does this mean I should wire the pins from the WiiKey to their corresponding pin numbers as they are on the disc drive, or is there some other order they follow?

Blargaman91 said:
Ah, okay... thanks for the clarification.

The wiring is proving a little bit confusing, though. I see that on the DVD side of the WiiKey, the pins are reversed (1 on the left, 32 on the right). So does this mean I should wire the pins from the WiiKey to their corresponding pin numbers as they are on the disc drive, or is there some other order they follow?

the cause for your confusion is very easy to explain:
the pic is wrong and no one has ever corrected it...

I have tried but I am still very confused with how the wiring is supposed to work. It doesn't seem to make sense because the GameCube's DD has those 4 5v pins that the WiiKey doesn't. I don't get what goes where or how it corresponds. Does pin 1 from the WiiKey actually go to the pad labeled "1" on the DD?

think of it this way:
you have to wire the the mainboard to the WKF right?
GC 1 > WKF 28

the drive will be the same
DVD 1 > WKF 28

as for power and GND, dont even bother connecting those from the WKF to the DVD drive...
just run a line from the power supply 5v pin to the DVD drive and ground the drive somewhere to the mainboard GND...

so WKF pins 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,29,30,31,32 will not even be connected to the DVD drive
and make sure you connect pin28 from the DVD drive to pin28 on the mainboard to allow proper audiostreaming from DVD titles

GC DVD drive does not need pin 29
Wii dvd drive needs pin 29
...no matter what, you will need pin29 going into the WKF/WASP/WODE on the mainboard side

also you will not need a replacement N/C lid switch...
you can use the lidswitch from the original dvd drive plugged into the dvddrive board as it normally is...
since the original switch is connected to the dvd drive board, its signal will pass to the WKF from the drive side and function normal...the WKF will see the signal as if it was the "door open" signal from the wii drive...

Would the pinouts in the left box work if I think of the left side as the GameCube DD and the right side as the WiiKey Fusion DVD connector? I'm just asking because I need confirmation.

96lzs9.jpg

Well after wiring it up, all appears to work fine, but I'm left with a couple questions. First of all, how is disc loading from the Swiss v0.3 menu supposed to work? I had a disc on the drive and an SD card in the WiiKey, but after I selected DVD Drive as the device, it just flashed a loading bar up on the screen for a second and went right back to the menu.

Second of all, megalomaniac, didn't you say that I would be fine to use the lid switch plugged into the DVD drive board as normal? I am confused because regardless of whether I press the switch or not, the GameCube acts like the lid is closed.

Blargaman91 said:
Well after wiring it up, all appears to work fine, but I'm left with a couple questions. First of all, how is disc loading from the Swiss v0.3 menu supposed to work? I had a disc on the drive and an SD card in the WiiKey, but after I selected DVD Drive as the device, it just flashed a loading bar up on the screen for a second and went right back to the menu.
need to remove the SD card once you are in swiss menu to access dvd
also, make sure you are using one of the latest swiss versions...
earlier version do not support DVD passthru
check out the swiss nightly builds thread at gc-forever

Blargaman91 said:
Second of all, megalomaniac, didn't you say that I would be fine to use the lid switch plugged into the DVD drive board as normal? I am confused because regardless of whether I press the switch or not, the GameCube acts like the lid is closed.
im a little confused by your description...if you are using the original dvd lidswitch, then there is no switch to press, you would simply open the lid...

I am using the original switch, it's just that I don't have any of this back in the GameCube casing yet so I must press the lid switch manually. But it seems to have no effect whether or not I press it.

so if the lid switch is open ( not pressed ) and the lid appears to be closed, then make sure the switch is functioning properly...
use a mulitmeter and check the two blue cables of the switch for continunity when the switch is pressed and released..
..or just unplug the switch from the dvd drive board and see if you get a lid open message in the IPL gameplay menu....

Back