Help out a noobie!

Hey, guys! I've been pretty bored this summer and have come to the conclusion that I need to find a new hobby aside from programming and game modification. Making portables seems interesting enough to catch my attention!

I pretty much have zero experience with soldering and working with circuit boards. In fact, the only experience I have with wiring and electricity is an electrical trades class I took in my sophomore and junior year of high school (splicing, switchs, outlets, lights, the flow of electricity, etc)... However, I do catch on quick and I have been studying up for the past week on what all is required to make a portable N64 so hopefully my lack-of knowledge won't be too much of a burden to overcome.

Alright so here is all the information I've gathered so far concering building a portable N64...

Materials:
  • Soldering iron (Weller 140/100 Watts)
  • 100uF capacitor
  • 2.2k Ohm resistor (I have both a 1/8 and 1/2 Watt)
  • Voltage regulator (I have both the PTH08080WAZ and the PTH08080WAS from TI)
  • Electrical tape
  • N64
  • N64 controller
  • Zenith 5-inch TFT LCD screen (or a PSOne screen)
  • Lead bearing (64/40 rosin core leaded solder)
  • Two 7.4v Li-on cells with circuit protector (each are 2-amp)
  • Charging Jack
  • A bunch of switches to controll charging, power, controller input, sound, etc

Optional Things:
  • Headphone jack
  • 64Drive (extremely optional but probably worth it)
  • RAM expansion pak (worth it)
  • Heat sinks
  • Whatever other cool flax I can think of later on

Right now I'm just hoping that I have all my materials correct. Afterword, I'll post about how I would go about wiring everything. The final thing that I'll be asking about is casing. I'm not too concerned with casing though; my first portable would really just serve as a proof of concept for myself.

What wire size should I be using? I've read quite a few posts on using ribbon cable, but what size is that exactly?

Finally, does anybody have any good soldering videos to watch?

If anybody needs pictures of what all materials I have so far then don't hesitate to ask; I want to make sure that I get everything right the first time.

The absolute person you should ask about N64 is Shockslayer. he made like 12 N64 Portables. Give him a while but he'll respond. A good idea on learning to solder is to go to Radioshack and pick up a simple soldering kit. The first kit i made was a radio or something. To learn about wires and Glue logic look at http://revision3.com/tbhs/episodes. Hope i helped.

Looks like you've got everything. The wire most people use is IDE cable or kynar wire. I believe they are about 30 awg. For power connections make sure you use a thicker wire.

Also, you will need heat sinks. I wouldn't put it under optional.

Sweet... I had no idea that there was a Ben Heck show.

Thanks for the advice so far, Rohan and Spiicy! So I take it that the N64's factory heat sinks aren't capable of doing a good-job when used in a portable?

The stock heatsinks weren't even really heatsinks, just some aluminum blocks. Alone they don't do a very good job, but with the inner design of the n64, it kept it cool enough to stay powered on, and oh yeah, because it runs on mains too. The ram heatsinks that portablizer a have been using does a much better job because they actually dissipate the heat the absorb from the chips.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1395
Pretty good read--^

100 watt soldering iron! that might be a bit much unless you and turn it down. Try for around 20-30 watts

Spiicyice said:
The wire most people use is IDE cable or kynar wire. I believe they are about 30 awg.

IDE is 22-24.

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
The stock heatsinks weren't even really heatsinks, just some aluminum blocks. Alone they don't do a very good job, but with the inner design of the n64, it kept it cool enough to stay powered on, and oh yeah, because it runs on mains too.

The aluminum blocks were not the heat sink. They were only there to transfer heat through to the heat sink which is generally not used because it is too big.

superben51 said:
100 watt soldering iron! that might be a bit much unless you and turn it down. Try for around 20-30 watts

If its just a regular iron, then this is correct. However, if its a station like mine, the wattage is not as important as the temperature control. My wes51 is 75w but its still ideal for electronics.

I guess I should have mentioned that there are multiple kinds of IDE cable. From my collection I could probably pick any gauge between 22 and 30. Most of mine is 24 and the 30 is obnoxiously thin and difficult to work with IMO

Back