Hello! New guy with a few MGB questions...

dmcnelly

Hello everyone!

I recently came into a couple Game Boy Pockets (a US-Spec clear model and a JPN-Spec transparent purple model), and I'm interested in modding them.

Firstly, I'm nervous about doing the backlight mod to the purple one, as apparently it's somewhat rare, however I've purchased a cyan backlight kit for the clear one. Now, new to console modding but not small electronics, but I've never had to fiddle around with tearing apart an LCD screen before.

Is there any hints or pointers you could give to me to make it a smooth process?

Soldering isn't a problem, it's just tearing apart and reassembling the danged LCD that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Secondly, what kind of battery life can I expect with a backlit MGB? (I plan on just running it straight from the main power switch.)

Thirdly, am I correct in saying the transparent purple MGB is somewhat rare? I've never seen one before, and I got it for a pretty good price. It's new in box, if that means anything, but there's almost no documentation about it across the internet.

Finally, what other neat mods are there that I can do to these awesome little buggers?

I've wanted a Game Boy Pocket since I was about 7 years old (14 years ago! :gonk:), and now I finally have the opportunity to have one. My first Game Boy was an Advance, so I missed out on the whole first generation of Game Boys. I've already bought a bunch of games, and I'm super excited to get started.

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it, and I see some amazing stuff going on on these boards. I hope to become a part of that. :D

The transparent purple is pretty rare as far as I have seen. They usually pop up on ebay for a lot. As for your last question, there's a lot of easy thing to do MGB's, Pro-sound mods and Rechargable battery packs to name a few.

Pally321 said:
The transparent purple is pretty rare as far as I have seen. They usually pop up on ebay for a lot.

Really? I snagged mine for about $35, which I'm not sure if it counts as a lot, but I thought it was a pretty good deal.

OH!

Before I forget, the Clear MGB is one of the earlier models without a power LED. The screen lens is pretty scratched up, but I can't find a replacement lens without the LED hole.

Is there either a.) A replacement screen lens without the LED hole or b.) A way to add the power LED?

dmcnelly said:
Pally321 said:
The transparent purple is pretty rare as far as I have seen. They usually pop up on ebay for a lot.

Really? I snagged mine for about $35, which I'm not sure if it counts as a lot, but I thought it was a pretty good deal.
The basics are is that the purple GBP was a Japan only color, so in the states it's pretty rare.

This is quite funny because I just found one on eBay for $30, but without a box. It comes with Pocket Monsters Green which I find awesome.

No replacement lenses without the hole have been found yet. It *is* possible to keep the power LED, though.

IMG_1900.JPG

As for pointers, just follow the guide super clearly on http://bibin.gg8.se/blog/how-to-backlig ... oy-pocket/ .

Cyan? :/ It won't turn out cyan, it'll turn out dim blue.

Battery life is indistinguishable.

Clear purple is marginally rare. I have 4.

Don't prosound it, it's not neat. A neat mod would be to do http://bibin.gg8.se/blog/how-to-bi-vert ... oy-pocket/ after it's backlit.

If you do that second mod:
:awesome:
ELcolor.png

Bibin said:

o_o

Dangit.

nonfinite's website showed it being a lighter blue.

Did I just waste $15, or will it look alright?

dmcnelly said:
Hello everyone!

I recently came into a couple Game Boy Pockets (a US-Spec clear model and a JPN-Spec transparent purple model), and I'm interested in modding them.

Firstly, I'm nervous about doing the backlight mod to the purple one, as apparently it's somewhat rare, however I've purchased a cyan backlight kit for the clear one. Now, new to console modding but not small electronics, but I've never had to fiddle around with tearing apart an LCD screen before.

Is there any hints or pointers you could give to me to make it a smooth process?

Soldering isn't a problem, it's just tearing apart and reassembling the danged LCD that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Secondly, what kind of battery life can I expect with a backlit MGB? (I plan on just running it straight from the main power switch.)

Thirdly, am I correct in saying the transparent purple MGB is somewhat rare? I've never seen one before, and I got it for a pretty good price. It's new in box, if that means anything, but there's almost no documentation about it across the internet.

Finally, what other neat mods are there that I can do to these awesome little buggers?

I've wanted a Game Boy Pocket since I was about 7 years old (14 years ago! :gonk:), and now I finally have the opportunity to have one. My first Game Boy was an Advance, so I missed out on the whole first generation of Game Boys. I've already bought a bunch of games, and I'm super excited to get started.

Thank you so much for your help! I really do appreciate it, and I see some amazing stuff going on on these boards. I hope to become a part of that. :D
As for removing the polarizer on the screen , I recommend waiting until I post my process That works fantastically
Hopefully have that up this week.

I have never test but at least 10hrs.

It is not the rarest but is worth a pretty penny.

You can Prosound them for "Better" sound quality.
Make them rechargable.
Bivert (increases the contrast)

dmcnelly said:
Bibin said:

o_o

Dangit.

It'll look fine.
But if you want to swap for another color just pm me and we can swap.

BoFoSho said:
dmcnelly said:
Bibin said:

o_o

Dangit.

It'll look fine.
But if you want to swap for another color just pm me and we can swap.

I like the way the Game Boy Light's backlight looks, and Cyan looked to be the closest. The pictures on nonfinite make it look to be pretty close, but I can't find a pic of one on a MGB.

Back