DIY LED projector

snowpenguin said:
What about a non-1080p projector? Still pointless to build instead of buy?

The main price barrier for me seemed to be lamps and ballasts for them.

Yea the only real reason to build one now is the WOW factor. People can not believe it when they see a DIY projector. Kind of like the wow factor from a well built portable. You can buy 720p projectors for $550 and 480p projectors for $400. The only reason a DIY is better is bulb life. But since they can't really match the contrast/color/brightness of a commercial , it's really not worth it now.

I think the bulbs are cheaper and last longer than before. Still a ripoff, though.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Multimedia-LED-Projector/

anyone plan on doing this or is doing it? i saw someone on IRC talking about it so i just had to look it up.
i might do it once i save up some extra money.
I saw this thread, and I was like hey I was talking about this in the IRC chat. Then I realized you were talking about me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Could somebody recommend a good, cheap projector for me, hopefully one without extremely expensive bulbs? I'd like to be able to use it in semi-dark, not completely black, rooms, and reswise, 1024X768 or maybe even 800x600 will do. I'd like it to have composite input, vga, and maybe even hdmi.

I don't really know what I'm looking at when shopping around, I don't have any clue what half of the specs mean or if it's a POS or a good projector.

Pricewise, cheap as possible please.

Threadjacking FTW!

Back