DIY LED projector

well i wouldn't use the 3.5" screen as that would be flux. was thinking something along the lines of a small 7" VGA screen with composite input. or a PSone screen

Read the directions, jlee. It tells you how to use a chipod or some flax.

Thus, that instructable will suck.

DIY projectors CAN be good, though. ;) Ask Hailrazer, I think he knows more than the rest of us put together on the subject.

PalmerTech said:
Read the directions, jlee. It tells you how to use a chipod or some flax.
Lolwut?

PalmerTech said:
DIY projectors CAN be good, though. ;) Ask Hailrazer, I think he knows more than the rest of us put together on the subject.
Now that's debatable ;)

Does a single LED even have enough power to get you a good image with a good brightness level through a 7" screen?

Jlee, you know you're talking to a noob here, lol. I really don't know much what that means in terms of brightness, but I do know 30W is a flaxload. I guess that's why the led needs a heatsink, lol.

I remember seeing this instructable a while ago, the quality of the projectiom really looked flax to me tbh.

jleemero said:
PalmerTech said:
Now that's debatable ;)

I guarantee I do ;)

I've built 7. I've moderated at the LumenLab forum for years. I had a 1080p DIY projector when 1080p projectors costs over $15,000 minimum.

I helped invent the Antiglare Removal Techniques used by many people now.

I can build one in my sleep.

But enough about me :)

And to agree with Palmer , this projector would look like crap. A 640x480 (and that scren is most likely 320x240) Lcd will have huge screendoor effect on anything bigger than 50". And a 1800 lumen LED will get you less than 10 lumens on the wall. You will only be able to see that in a completely dark room.

But it still is a neat project to see how a projector works and all.

ShockSlayer said:
$5 says hailrazer could build a functioning bat-signal.

SS

I do have several 1000 watt Metal Halides and ballast laying around. LOL

FYI : 1000 watt MH Lamps are huge and don't really work good in a DIY projector. Now if you want to make a turkey roaster :rofl:

In theory it would work and be a neat gadget, but the problem is that the screen resolution sucks. Might be neat to build just to say you did, though.

XCVG said:
In theory it would work and be a neat gadget, but the problem is that the screen resolution sucks. Might be neat to build just to say you did, though.

you can swap that screen with any with minor adjustments.

If he had used a brighter led, more led's, or a better screen this might be worth the trouble. I have been eyeing that engadget guide to a 1080p projector for awhile. It uses a 20" or so computer LCD with HDMI and component inputs. I saw one at office max just like it that also has an HDTV tuner and a remote. It would be just like a tv.

Basement_Modder said:
If he had used a brighter led, more led's, or a better screen this might be worth the trouble. I have been eyeing that engadget guide to a 1080p projector for awhile. It uses a 20" or so computer LCD with HDMI and component inputs. I saw one at office max just like it that also has an HDTV tuner and a remote. It would be just like a tv.

That will work , but it will be a HUGE box.

It's better to use a 15.4" Wuxga kit from diyprojectors . It costs a few dollars more, but the box is a more manageable size.

How much would it cost to just buy a 1080p projector? Because I want to know how economically sound it is to build your own. I've looked at the DIY projector scene and always wondered if it would be cheaper or not, and how much.

XCVG said:
How much would it cost to just buy a 1080p projector? Because I want to know how economically sound it is to build your own. I've looked at the DIY projector scene and always wondered if it would be cheaper or not, and how much.

Nah it's not worth it anymore. You can buy a Commercial 1080p projector for around $1200 now and it would costs around $900-$1000 to build a good Diy one.

But back when the commercials cost $15,000 , $900 was awesome :)

What about a non-1080p projector? Still pointless to build instead of buy?

The main price barrier for me seemed to be lamps and ballasts for them.

Back