Compsite to VGA converter question??? Please help

Hifeno

I do not know if this belongs in this topic or the screens topic but.

I have a spare 22 inch computer lcd that I would like to use to hook some of my older consoles to to test them and play and such. It has VGA and DVI. Does anyone know how to build a converter to hook composite to vga or dvi. I don't really want to have to buy an expensive adapter.

You could theoretically build one, but if you have to ask, it's probably not a good idea. They are like $30. Just buy one, you can't build one for that price.

XCVG said:
You could theoretically build one, but if you have to ask, it's probably not a good idea. They are like $30. Just buy one, you can't build one for that price.
Trust me I have the skill. And where are they $30 b/c I have never seen them.

J.D said:
Or if you want to be cooler hook up S-Video to a monitor :p
How do you do S-video to vga? That would work too.

Hifeno said:
XCVG said:
Trust me I have the skill. And where are they $30 b/c I have never seen them.

J.D said:
Or if you want to be cooler hook up S-Video to a monitor :p
How do you do S-video to vga? That would work too.
$5!

No clue how good it is, but it has S-Video and Composite input. May get a couple of these for myself actually.

EDIT: That's TO S-Video, Composite, etc. :facepalm:

That and it only works with certain models of computer; it's not a true converter in any respect.

The parts, and effort put into building one are worth more than $30, so I would just go into buying one.
You are still going to get, at best composite quality out of anything you use, though.
Basically, you have to build a circuit to split 1 signal into 5: R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync
If this seems too expensive for you, might look into a composite to component converter that may or may not be cheaper and check if your monitor supports Sync on Green.
If you can figure out how to get component from composite or s-video, this might be useful:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_VGA_HOWTO
Also, you could use that converter and component mod your systems... but I think that may be a bit to much for testing.

Back