Casing/controller/wiikey vs xeno question

grodion

Hey guys, so I have recently started making my first portable. I got video and the battery setup, but I need some help with how to wire the controller. I understand the tact switch method, but I want to use the originalbuttons, but I'm not sure how to do it. Like, where to cut the mobo and what not. (I'm really new to modding and recently got into electronics, so please bear with me :p ). I also wanted to ask if this case http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Aluminium- ... 4897.l5664 would be okay, along with the difference between xeno and wiikey fusion. I know that using xeno one can play burned backups, and I think that I read that you can also play off an SD card, which seems the same as wiikey fusion, yet wiikey costs a lot more? I'm a bit confused. Thanks for your help!

That case kind of works but the two halves don't hold together very well without a real GamePad between them. And unless you're planning to somehow use every hole, you'll have to fill a lot of big holes with bondo or something like that.

Do you think drilling a few holes and putting in my own screws could work? I can probably just put in a few LED's to fill up the holes to replace the rumbling feature. I wanted to originally use the casing from a wiiu gamepad, but I can't find any online

Well some of the holes I'm taking about are huge and rectangular.
I think making your own screw posts could work.

okay thanks. do you know about any of my other questions? I really dont want to mod the DVD drive, it would take up so much space :confused:

The case is aluminium which is probably hard to work with. Try a "wii u hardcase" that's entirely plastic.
The xeno is attached to the original gc drive and only let you play original and backups from discs. If you burn Swiss to a disc and load it on the gc you can boot games from an SD card. You still need the disc drive.
The wiikey fusion replaces the disc drive entirely by emulating the drive and uses only an SD card.

Yeah that’s the one. It does need much casework however as it's gaping with holes and not really held together :)
Personally I would suggest using another case, one that already has screw posts and no holes. Think you can get samples from polycase, haven't tried it though.

yeah the problem with polycase is that with shipping and tax it adds up to being like 20$ per case which seems kinda like a rip off, nor does it look too well... would bondo/fiberglass look okay to cover the holes? ive used fiberglass before but never bondo

Im just going to add my 2 cents onto your case choice. i personally bought this case about 5 months ago and choose to utilize a ZN 40 case instead. The aluminum on the top of the case can be removed leaving a plastic body, meaning that youre actually better off getting a solid plastic one that wont have indentations. dont waste your money like i did.

hmmm... would it be possible to combine the zn40 and the aluminum part that comes off? the aluminum thing looks really nice

Back