Breadbox Cube V.2 Finished

Bakuku

Hello Modretro,
It’s Modding time!

After the first you get an itch you just can’t scratch... you want to do better, push your limits and most of all, the excitement of closing a unit and realizing it doesn’t work and you have to search for the problem and discover more problems and then even more problems and then, maybe then, it works and you feel good :awesome: LOL

With that said, I would like to invite you all to my new worklog.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

For now some pictures and a rough feature list:

5" Innolux TFT LCD with VGA

Gamecube rev. A dol cpu -11 test cut with stock heatsink

Gamecube Component chip modded for VGA output.

-The unit will use the Zenloc Custom Regulator
1.5v
1.7v
3.3v
5v

-Rumble with iphone 3gs motor
-Original shoulder buttons with full range
-Original Gamecube buttons and layout
-Li Ion batteries 4 cells at 7.2v 6800mAh "Panasonic NCR18650b 3.6v 3400mAH"
-AV out "thinking component or VGA out"
-Etc...

Some features may be added or scrapped down the line.

Update 04/16/2015

Trimmed heatsink with Eee PC fan. Runs very smootly and very quite!

Trimmed Motherboard with component chip connected.

Update 04'25'2015

Rough layout

Update 05'26'2015

Did some temperary placement and soldering and cut the case a little bit. Bottom half.

First post will be updated.

Enjoy

Re: The Gamecube Portable 04'16'2015

The first post has been updated.

So far I got most things working... everything actually except for the memorycard.
For some unknown reason the GameCube detects every Memorycard I connect to it as an object that can not be used. The same message when connecting a SDgecko. I know my wiring is good, I can do the memcard via solders from my head. Same goes for slot B.

I had disconnected the memcard after the message and it was still there upon reboot. I hadn’t had anything connected to slot B to begin with?! Anybody else had this issue? Tried with both official 59 blocks memcard and a 256mb memcard with the internal switch to choose one of the 2 internal memcards of 2049 blocks.

The messages dissapeared after a lenghty game session without save function ofcource. But even now when connecting a Saving device the GameCube detects it as an unusable device.

Any sugestions?

Thanks

Yo I had an issue with mine like that... Except my internal worked great from the first time I turned it on... Check and make sure your d0 and d1 lines are in the right spot and not swapped... Also I had to add more solder to those points as well.

Re:

DuHasst0 said:
Yo I had an issue with mine like that... Except my internal worked great from the first time I turned it on... Check and make sure your d0 and d1 lines are in the right spot and not swapped... Also I had to add more solder to those points as well.

I added more solder like you said and everything seems be working now.
Thanks alot!

Re: The Gamecube Portable 05'26'2015

The unit is Almost finished. Been very busy with work and school so haven't had the time to post my Updates.

Also, I'm Bakuku but can't seem to access my old account for some reason...
If anybody can help me recover my account that would be great because I don't recieve a Password reset mail :/

Check my Youtube Channel: DersimzijnPC

I'm having some issues with my portable.
After some gametime my VGA screen starts losing sync for some reason.
It usually starts right beforen I notice some artifacts on the screen.
These vary from wierd colors to floating object like for example In wind waker where Link's hat starts wobbling in left and right for no apperent reason. Same in SSBM when holding a laser gun. These wobbling glitches indicate the screen will start to lose sync in some time.

Once the screen is desynct I ussually disconnect power and reconnect and it will boot up again most of the times for a minute or two and the glitches will sometime remain or dissapear but the desync will return after a couple of seconds to maybe a minute or two.

Could this be power related or heat? I'm ruling out shorts because the gamecube wouldn't boot if there was.

Also, the Gamecube still works when the screen cuts off.

Cpu: 1.489 something volts because of drops I guess
Gpu: 1.687 something volts because of drops I guess
Main power: 3.3v
5v for rumble
7.2v at 6800mAH batteries

Is more power needed when using the VGA mod?

Please any help is welcome!

Where did you get the batteries, and can you confirm their authenticity? I found them on fasttech, but the price seems too good to be true.

I had some troubles with vga artifacts. I raised the voltage from 1.7 V to 1.76V and thought they went away, but still experienced more minor artifacts in game. I raised it to roughly 1.81V and then it seemed to go away for good. So it very well could be a power issue.

Here's what mine looked like
sBmBthSh.jpg

Also a picture of what you're experiencing would help in diagnosing the problem.

Mooper said:
I had some troubles with vga artifacts. I raised the voltage from 1.7 V to 1.76V and thought they went away, but still experienced more minor artifacts in game. I raised it to roughly 1.81V and then it seemed to go away for good. So it very well could be a power issue.

Here's what mine looked like
sBmBthSh.jpg

Also a picture of what you're experiencing would help in diagnosing the problem.

I did what you said and increased the voltages. So far no problems. Battery does deplete faster now I noticed.

Hope to close this badboy soon for some more testing.

Anybody have any cool color sugestions?

Update

Wierd problem now. Internal controller stopped working for some reason. No shorts according to my multimeter. External no problems. When it did work it worked up to the point where I selected a game from the Swiss menu and I had to press A to continue. From there on the internal controller stopped working or the whole freezes. I don't know. Switching back to external and rebooting makes it work but Internal is a no Go?!

Any explanation for this?

Also, if any mod or admin is reading this... can you please repair my Bakuku account? Still no password recovery mail recieved and it's been more than a month now?!
Thank you

Dersim said:
-snip-

Also, if any mod or admin is reading this... can you please repair my Bakuku account? Still no password recovery mail recieved and it's been more than a month now?!
Thank you

Try resending the email, I have to do that a lot and also check your spam folder, sometimes it gets put in there

EDIT about the controller issue make sure it's getting the proper voltage, as it can work in some areas without the 3.3v line but not in others (like in game)

dark_samus said:
Dersim said:
-snip-

Thank you

Try resending the email, I have to do that a lot and also check your spam folder, sometimes it gets put in there

EDIT about the controller issue make sure it's getting the proper voltage, as it can work in some areas without the 3.3v line but not in others (like in game)

Tried multiple times but no e-mail.

As for the controller. My regulator sends out 3.230v that could be the issue. Going to fix that later. Might be the problem. Hope so

Hmm, could you measure across your 1.9v rail with a multimeter set to the ohms scale? I'm trying to see what the resistance is supposed to be, that would be awesome if you could.

Anyways, hope the controller thing works out :)

Got the controller working. Used a new one. Apparently the old one wzs broken. I found it laying somewhere in my parts bin. Should had thrown it out :)

Back on track!

@moderator, help me fix my account please

Nice! The only thing I would do is put a coat of paint on it... otherwise looks sexy :)

Back